First Blast

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ricebiscuit

First Blast

Post by ricebiscuit »

This is my first go at sandblasting. My setup is less than ideal (26 gal- 2 hp compressor) but I think it turned out ok. maybe got a little lucky :D . Shaping I was somewhat happy with. I think the shank/bowl junction could be a little more defined. Thanks in advance.

Trey Rice

Trey Rice Pipes - www.treyricepipes.com
MrChurchwarden

Re: First Blast

Post by MrChurchwarden »

Really nice man, at first I thought the blasting wasn't deep enough from the first picture but I really like it. The blast is nice and symmetrical.
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Hey ricebiscuit'
You said it all in your comment regarding the shank-bowl-cheek transition but it is a pipe very much to my liking ,it has essence !
Congrats on this pipe :thumbsup:

Best,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

How long did it take to get the smile off your face after you blasted? :D
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
JMG

Post by JMG »

As you said, the shank/bowl trans. could be a tad better, but man....I. Like. This. Pipe. The cumberland stem really compliments the black stain nicely. Part of me would like to see the bowl a bit taller, but another part of me likes just like it is. Seriously, this is a great looking pipe. Nice job, man.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
NathanA
Site Supporter

Post by NathanA »

I am really a fan of this pipe. At first glance it looks like a billiard that needs a lot more off the bowl shank junction, but I don't think it is a billiard at all. The front and back of the bowl mirror each other just fine and mke it more of a volcano than a billiard. The finish looks great, as well. Might I ask what material the inlay is? Nicely done.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

Nice work RB!! That is certainly a handsome pipe and a nice blast! Nice work.
mredmond
Site Supporter

First Blast

Post by mredmond »

That blast looks pretty good. I recently did my first blast, as well, and it's fun trying to figure out what works best. The pipe looks good to me, but I do have a couple suggestions on the stem. I would probably try to make the button thinner and I think the pipe would look better if you started the taper closer to the end of the shank. From observations and advice seen here, the lines of tapered stems usually flow better when the taper starts closer to the shank.

Good job!

Micah
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Jesus Herbert Christmas! That is a nice pipe! Nice shape. Nice stem and inlay work and nice blast. But, for some reason, it seems to be that the flux capacitor isn't in tune with the saffinoidal phalynx, nor is the conjunction in direct counterpoint to the function of the junction. Better send it my way so that I can smoke it for you, work out the kinks and get back to you with my research, findings, hypotheses and general...um...feedback...
Whaddya' say?...
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's a good looking pipe and decent first blast. I actually think the bowl/shank junction looks good. The front of the bowl mirrors the back of the bowl requiring a less sharp transition in the bowl/shank junction. I really like the contrast of the wood inlay. Symmetry looks good as far as I can tell. The chamfered rim is a nice touch. As far as constructive criticism goes, I only see a few things that would elevate this pipe to another level. First, the shank looks about a 1/4" too long which gives the appearance that the bowl is too short, which I don't believe it is. It would look better if the grain in the Cumberland stem and the ring matched/lined up on each side of the wood inlay. This would show a certain attention to detail. Lastly, the ridges of the blast are a bit rounded as if you overbuffed and knocked off the sharp edges of the growth rings. These observations are minor and in no way take away from how nice of a job you did on this pipe. Great work!
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Agree w/teipen. Balance wise, the stem is short and the shank long, visually. Doesn't "wreck" the pipe by any means but it's a little .... heavy, I guess, at the stem end.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

After looking at the pictures again, I take back the overbuffing comment. The first picture is out of focus and it looked like the blast wasn't very defined but it looks good in the other two photos.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
ricebiscuit

Post by ricebiscuit »

Thanks everybody for the great replies. I agree with all of the criticism that was given. And sorry for the blurry pictures. They were taken really quickly in poor lighting.

Nathan- Inlay is zebrawood. I use it cause I think it looks pretty spiffy with the cumberland stem. Especially when you can get the lines to match like Wayne suggested.

Sas- It took at least two days to wipe the smile off. I also started thinking TJ, RD, and BW better watch out cause if I can do that on the first try... ohhh baby. Then the second blast I went a little overboard and ended up with a lumpy pipe. Turns out its not that easy.

Wayne- Thanks for the specific crit. I am trying to hone in on those little details.

Again Thanks everybody for comments, Trey
Trey Rice

Trey Rice Pipes - www.treyricepipes.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

From the description of your setup, that's a fantastic blast! How long did it take you to blast it?

Rad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Nice blast, especially with that compressor. Well done!

As for the shank length, my personal preference is always to maximize the shank length for a given block. Often that can result in an in-between sort of length like this one. It's not quite long enough to be a lovat, but certainly longer than would be typical on a pipe bowl of that size. My solution is to visually extend the shank with an inlay in the stem--like you did, only longer. Then do a saddle stem. Even doing just the saddle stem has a similar effect because the saddle visually extends the shank a bit. If you just did a saddle stem on this pipe, I'd actually make the stem a little shorter.

Here's an example of what I mean:

Sorry for the crappy photo. That pipe is a shop pipe, and is really dusty and dirty. It is also a small pipe, like your's appears to be (unless your pipe is on the biggest pipe sock known to man :D ). That little dublin of mine is about 4 3/4" long. I think it illustrates that a shorter stem with a saddle bit can "pull out" the proportions on an "in between" shank.

Nice work though, and I'm jealous that you can blast.

Tyler
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I did the same thing Trey - went for "just a little more detail" on a brandy and wound up with a stummel that looked like a piece of fruit one might find at the bottom of a junior-high locker.

But it is a lotta fun!
SWM

Post by SWM »

All of the above plus I think it is a very elegant pipe - congrats!
Sorringowl wrote:Jesus Herbert Christmas! That is a nice pipe! Nice shape. Nice stem and inlay work and nice blast. But, for some reason, it seems to be that the flux capacitor isn't in tune with the saffinoidal phalynx, nor is the conjunction in direct counterpoint to the function of the junction. Better send it my way so that I can smoke it for you, work out the kinks and get back to you with my research, findings, hypotheses and general...um...feedback...
Whaddya' say?...
This is an offer that should be considered. Gee, really altruistic...

Best,

Steffen
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)