Missouri Meerschaum Ozark Mountain Pipe

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
pecci

Missouri Meerschaum Ozark Mountain Pipe

Post by pecci »

Is one briar alternative pipe that many folks enjoy. It is stained in either maple or cherry, but does anyone know what kind of hardwood, it is made of? It looks very light to me, and might be maple or birch.

I called the company, and was told they didn't know, and that a new co. would be producing it.
Sasquatch

Re: Missouri Meerschaum Ozark Mountain Pipe

Post by Sasquatch »

I hate to say it but that probably means it could be any number of hardwoods and that they neither know nor care. From the pic on the site I'd say your accurate with a guess of maple or birch, I'd add beech as a possibility, but really, it sounds like they're saying "It gets made with hardwood."

Might as well tell ya it's from trees.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
pecci

Post by pecci »

I think your right. I don't think they care. For all they know, the new co that produces it will/can use whatever thgey want, as long as they get the stain right.

Thanks, Sas!
pecci

Post by pecci »

MM answered my email. The new company that will be manufacturing the Ozark Mtn. pipes said that they use either maple or birch.

If it were birch wood, wouldn't they fail sooner than folks who own them, claim they do?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Birch is still hard and dense, and compared to a "burner" like sweet sappy pine, it's still fairly fire-proof. Used hard, the thing will decompose. But you are talking about a 15 dollar item, right? So looking at it as a long-term investment is probably not realistic. You'll chew through the stem a long time before it burns out.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
pecci

Post by pecci »

Sasquatch wrote:Birch is still hard and dense, and compared to a "burner" like sweet sappy pine, it's still fairly fire-proof. Used hard, the thing will decompose. But you are talking about a 15 dollar item, right? So looking at it as a long-term investment is probably not realistic. You'll chew through the stem a long time before it burns out.
Hi Sas,

Yeah these things only cost $5.

Thanks for the info.