Few new Pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
daniel

Few new Pipes

Post by daniel »

hello!
its been a while, and i´ve gotten a room to work with my pipes and other wood-related stuff.
and a drill! yes! here are two pictures from the room.
ImageImage

well anyway to the pipes.
this is a horn, 10-11cm long
ImageImageImage

i had to respect the x-mas time and give it away as a present.
and heres the new happy owner, buffing a new pipe and enjoyig the rest of an blackxx stash from the year 2006.

and heres another one
ImageImageImageImageImage

and another one

ImageImageImageImage
(it isn´t an pipe that eweryone would care to smoke i admit, but i would still love to hear comments of it.
its about 10 cm long 4cm high. the mouthpiece is about 2,5cm wide, and this pipe naturally weights nothing)
I don´t use dremel!

and another one
ImageImageImageImageImage
this one is a rather big one compared to the pipes i have made in the past, the shank is oval, it probably won´t be seen on the pictures.

and then we have a pipe made outof pearwood, small, rather a test in form.
pictures arent so good, my bad.
ImageImageImageImage

theres still one to hit the markets
paneled/ five cheeked dublin, i think.
ImageImageImageImage

id really like to read your comments on improvements i can make, and things that i could pay more attention to, so don´t hesitate to give em.
merry christmas for eweryone.
maxmil

Re: few new pipes,

Post by maxmil »

You are all a magnificent artisans.
They say the Horn, are difficult to smoking
Greetings.
Felix
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

I really dig that little horn and the five cheeked dublin. Nice looking briar on both of those.

Two questions:

1. How does that horn smoke?

and,

2. Is it me, or does the image of Richard Nixon (the patron saint of all crooks) appear in those first two photos of your shop? :lol:

Nice work
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
daniel

Post by daniel »

hello felix and Owl!
thankyou for your interest and kind comments,
I don´t find it difficult to smoke as i´ve practised to pack a bowl so that it can be smoked upside down;D
(it rained a lot back then) it smokes well thankyou.

it´s jaumehoms briar, not the most expensive but ivé had no reason so far to change the shop.

nixon in my "shop"!?!
i see him now too,
i´ll have to get rid of him as he doesn´t even pay the rent!

as said before critics are more than welkome,
...Sas´?
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Hey Daniel good to see you are still at it!

The horn I like. I don't like it as a pipe, but I like it as a piece of art - it is "all horn" and that's that.

The forum is acting goofy here, so I am going to keep it short - the other pipes look well constructed, and I guess what I would say is that the smooth briar freehands coud use a bit of tweaking - are they hard lines or soft? Are they rounded or squared? They sort of sit in the middle on every issue, and that leads them to being a little bit.... meaningless, I guess. They don't have a direction (the Horn goes all the way in horn direction), they don't look to have an overall "idea" except to be pipes.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

All right, connection is a little better now.

Where to improve....

Well, this one picture incorporates all the ideas that I can hit you with at once, Daniel.

The purple arrow shows a "lump" - the shine of the light should be one line all the way along the stem and shank. Combined with the lump, the shank is thinner in the middle, and then thickens out again (dropping below a straight line from stem to bowl), indicated by blue arrow. This you could do, if it was done finely, but combined with the two different angles on the saddle, and the lump, and judged against the relatively hard and well defined lines of the bowl, it just looks like the pipe isn't shaped well.

So if you take this idea further, and build a pipe with a shank that has a waste and fattens back out, you can do it, but it has to look intentional, and it has to be done well or it just looks like someone couldn't quite get it to look right. Likewise, you need a complimentary bowl shape. In this case, the hard lines of the half-saddle go with the hard lines of the bowl, and the shank of the pipe is ... melting? It doesn't go.

I love the carving on the pipe that looks like peeled bark - that's wonderful. As a carving idea, it's great. As a pipe, I don't think a 1" wide stem that thick can be comfortable (or is the pipe only 3" long?). So I see that as a design idea that needs a little refinement if the primary purpose is smoking. If you are making pipe-style art pieces... then it's home-run in design and just needs a slightly sharper execution (same as the pipe in the picture here - just little bumps that need to be smoothed out. Flat things flatter, smooth things smoother, as it were.)

It's coming though - your execution is ten times what it was. :thumbsup:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Walle

Post by Walle »

Daniel,

welcome back. Your pipes have become so much better!
I like the horn and the one out of pearwood.

Cheerio!
Walle
Pipes That Make You Smile
www.blue-lobster-pipes.com
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Is that the reflections discover defects that are not visible to the naked eye.
Greetings.
Felix
Mike Messer wrote:I will say this, "Absolutely fantastic carving." Forget the critique (more or less). An artist like you calls the shots, because you have a gift, a talent, and don't ever forget that.
Great work!

P.S. I read earlier about your hand problem. I have had a similar problem. I can't give any medical advice, but I have found that holding a tight grip for long periods, I believe, either damages nerves or stops blood circulation which damages nerves. When working think about this, and relax you grip frequently, massage a bit, then continue. It may help. Being cold may also be a factor.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Few new Pipes, redux

Post by Tyler »

Daniel,

Thanks for posting your work.

Sorry things jumped off track so badly. This thread has the unique distinction of being the first one I have ever deleted posts from. It just didn't seem fair for that junk to be bogging down your thread.

Carry on, and keep up the good work.

Tyler
daniel

Re: Few new Pipes

Post by daniel »

Hello,
thanks for the answers!
i have read them more than twice and been thinking of them.
sas, the purple arrow i get, but the blue one, i couldnt make it straight, ill try to get a better picture that will show that the shape is considered. i was thinking that maybe, the edges of the panels should have been done even sharper to make the shank more opposite to it, but youre probably right saying that i should take an clearer goal to aim with my pipes.

i hadn´t had time to post you back, and im in a rush again, my drillpress seems to have an problem,
and i think its with the electricity.

the small pipe is less than three inches :D

i thank you guys again