The Red Bandit

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
wdteipen

The Red Bandit

Post by wdteipen »

I've finally finished another pipe. I'm having trouble getting a deeper blast but I'm not entirely unhappy with the results I'm getting. I'm trying to get the rim stain to compliment the red band and I'm not sure if I've got it yet or not. Let me know what you think.

Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
JMG

Re: The Red Bandit

Post by JMG »

That is my kind of pipe. As far as the the rim, maybe a less brown'ish red would compliment it better. Though what you have ain't bad at all. Seriously Wayne, this is one nice looking pipe.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Wow, beautiful.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That's another lovely pipe Wayne.

I really like the lines, though it's a bit tough to see on the black background. Finish looks great.

Whatcha blastin with? I just switched from Al/ox to 100mu glass and it's a world of difference.

I'll offer two ideas here. First, I hate to say it but I think the stem is a hair long. This might be different if I could clearly see the entire pipe, and it may just be because it's a saddle and looks proportionately longer cuz it's thin. Second, I wonder what it would look like if the top were rounded "out" rather than in. It would match the growth rings you've exposed with the blast, and soften the shape somewhat.

EDIT: The stem looks right to me in the second pic but long in the first. Did you change it between photos? :roll:

But I like it a lot, and I assume you'll be sending it to me as a reward for my dedication?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Hey Wayne,
Nice Bandit! Beautiful pipe. Beautiful blast, stain, and I really like the contrasting band (and rim). The only thing I would add is that I wish the rim was beveled slightly. Right now, that part of your composition appears a little flat, compared to the rest of the pipe. Maybe even a slight bevel on the inside of the rim would alleviate this as that part, in particular appears (to me) to very sharp (in contrast with the smooth flowing lines of your pipe now). Anyway, I'm TOTALLY nit-picking and I think this is a beautiful pipe that I'd want in my collection (if Xmas wasn't driving me broke :lol: ).

Great work!
Thanks for sharing.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

What else than a beautiful pipe , no 'but' or 'if '!

Best ,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
buster

Post by buster »

I think the stain on the rim compliments the band well. Beautiful pipe.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Thanks fellas.
Sasquatch wrote:Whatcha blastin with?
I did this blast with finely ground New Guinea unicorn horns at 200 psi. :lol:
Actually, it's extra fine glass bead and I toyed with the pressure between 70 and 80 psi. I'm still trying to figure out what works best.
Sasquatch wrote:I hate to say it but I think the stem is a hair long.
I actually agree with you here. I think the stem could be about a 1/4" shorter. The prototype to this pipe (whose drilling I botched but decided to finish the pipe anyway for practice) had a stem that was over an inch longer than this one. I cut it down for this pipe but agree I could have gone even shorter.
Sasquatch wrote:I wonder what it would look like if the top were rounded "out" rather than in. It would match the growth rings you've exposed with the blast, and soften the shape somewhat.
Again, I agree. It was really bothering me after I blasted but was committed to the overall design and decided to leave it as is. I'm not a fan of most pipes with convex rims either. This shape would look better with nice, smooth, straight grain.

Thanks for taking the time to give constructive criticism. It really helps.
Wayne Teipen
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Sorringowl wrote:Hey Wayne,
Nice Bandit! Beautiful pipe. Beautiful blast, stain, and I really like the contrasting band (and rim). The only thing I would add is that I wish the rim was beveled slightly. Right now, that part of your composition appears a little flat, compared to the rest of the pipe. Maybe even a slight bevel on the inside of the rim would alleviate this as that part, in particular appears (to me) to very sharp (in contrast with the smooth flowing lines of your pipe now). Anyway, I'm TOTALLY nit-picking and I think this is a beautiful pipe that I'd want in my collection (if Xmas wasn't driving me broke :lol: ).

Great work!
Thanks for sharing.
I like the idea of making the rim concave. While I think it would be somewhat difficult to do on an irregularly shaped rim, I think it would look really cool and I considered it at one point. However, I've been doing this to a lot of my pipes lately because I think it looks cool but didn't want to be stuck being 'the guy that bevels all his rims.' :lol: I'm also finding that, by smoking some shop pipes I made with beveled rims, they seem to char easier when lighting.
Wayne Teipen
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Woah, now you're talking, Jack. Really cool pipe.

P.S. cool camera work, too.
Last edited by Mike Messer on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

this is very very nice... :) thank you for sharing this with us.... nice pipe...
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

For me, it's a beautiful pipe.
Greetings.
Felix
Nate

Post by Nate »

Fantastic! I think it looks better in person :) Can't wait to see it with the Crimson, did it arrive yet?