Yellowheart

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
Nate

Yellowheart

Post by Nate »

I am using yellowheart as a shank extension on one of my latest pipes. It contains the mortise for the stem tenon and I was curious if anyone else has used it, specifically its integrity over the life of the pipe? I am considering using a delrin sleeve, if needed.
Sasquatch

Re: Yellowheart

Post by Sasquatch »

If you have the technology to do a delrin sleeve, why wouldn't you? It's better in all respects.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:If you have the technology to do a delrin sleeve, why wouldn't you? It's better in all respects.
I actually don't but know someone who does. Thanks for the advice! :)
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

I think you want to avoid having the mortise being a wood other than briar. Jeff and I discussed that issue in Vegas this year, and he was pretty adamant that a mortise of something other than briar (or Delrin lined), would eventually crack. Im pretty sure he knows what he's talking about, so I'm avoiding it from now on. :)
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

SimeonTurner wrote:I think you want to avoid having the mortise being a wood other than briar. Jeff and I discussed that issue in Vegas this year, and he was pretty adamant that a mortise of something other than briar (or Delrin lined), would eventually crack. Im pretty sure he knows what he's talking about, so I'm avoiding it from now on. :)
That sounds like a reasonable thesis, I will adapt that to my work in the future. Thanks Simeon!