Pipe #3 - Coachman

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nate

Re: Pipe #3 - Coachman

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:I'd like to see that curve be a bit more gradual, flattening out nearer the bit end of the stem. If you think about bending a branch, the bend kinda starts near where the weight is, ya know? So I guess I find that a bit too "archy" for my tastes, and I suspect that both the thickness of the stem and the curve of it are what I'm not that fond of there. It's done well, but it's not done "finely", if that makes any sense.
That does make sense, thanks for the thoughts! My original thoughts were as you noted, but practical application got the better of me. The original also had a longer, thinner shank. When I do it again, I will try to find a larger piece of briar so I can make a thinner shank and stem, effecting the arc I was going for. Good stuff, thanks!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

What a guy imagines, and what a guy winds up making, and getting those two things to line up, and also to stop imagining ugly shit, or correct it once you find out that your imagining was flawed.... that's just how you get better and better. Occassionally a piece of briar will screw you or you'll make an outright physical mistake, but by and large, the process seems to be one of making things, looking at them, and making them better next time.

I've had a lot of fun making calabashes and dublins lately - hardly made anything else. And refining the shapes, playing with contrasting bits and pieces.... it's taught me as much as doing more avante garde stuff would have, or maybe more. Baby steps!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Careful implementation. Something I see in most of the work presented in this forum. I'm frankly surprised.
Greetings.
Felix
Nate

Post by Nate »

maxmil wrote:Careful implementation. Something I see in most of the work presented in this forum. I'm frankly surprised.
Greetings.
Felix
Thank you Felix, I appreciate it!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

maxmil wrote:Careful implementation. Something I see in most of the work presented in this forum. I'm frankly surprised.
Greetings.
Felix
Interesting conclusion. In my opinion, the opposite is true for most of us on the forum - myself included.
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

e Markle wrote:
Greetings.
Felix
Interesting conclusion. In my opinion, the opposite is true for most of us on the forum - myself included.
Might have been a bad translation by Google translator
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

e Markle wrote:
Greetings.
Felix
To which conclusion are you referring e Markle?
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Nate wrote: To which conclusion are you referring e Markle?
He said he thought most of the work displayed on the forum shows "careful implementation," and that surprises me. Aside from a handful of us (Rad, Bruce, and *maybe* Todd ;) ) most of the work here is lacking in that department. That's not a criticism, just a result of the fact that we're at various stages of learning.

Didn't mean to highjack your thread though.
Nate

Post by Nate »

e Markle wrote:
Nate wrote: To which conclusion are you referring e Markle?
He said he thought most of the work displayed on the forum shows "careful implementation," and that surprises me. Aside from a handful of us (Rad, Bruce, and *maybe* Todd ;) ) most of the work here is lacking in that department. That's not a criticism, just a result of the fact that we're at various stages of learning.

Didn't mean to highjack your thread though.
No hijack, I just wanted to make sure I understood you correctly. I would definitely appreciate any critique you may have of my pipe. :)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Speak for youself, Markle! My work fairly reeks of "careful implementation". :lol: :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
MrChurchwarden

Post by MrChurchwarden »

Does this sit in your mouth pretty heavy?
Nate

Post by Nate »

MrChurchwarden wrote:Does this sit in your mouth pretty heavy?
Actually it's not too hard on the jaw and has a fairly good balance! It weighs in at 33 grams (1.2 ounces), so it's not too bad. I will post what the owner thinks after he gets it and starts smoking it.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

I wanted to say that the pipe is very well done, and that the work I see in this forum are of high quality, compared with those who see in other forums.
I hope this time, I understand it better.
Greetings.
Felix
Walle

Post by Walle »

Yes. This pipe is good.
The shape got tension.
The execution is perfect.
I´m impressed.

Cheerio!
Walle
Pipes That Make You Smile
www.blue-lobster-pipes.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thank you to both, I am humbled by your words.

Maxmil, your understanding is right on, as is the translation. Thank you.

Walle, thank you for your compliment, that means a lot! Thanks!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Nate wrote: I would definitely appreciate any critique you may have of my pipe. :)
For number 3, I'd say you're doing fine - especially if you don't have a lathe. I didn't read all the comments so these may have been mentioned already.
1. It might just be the pic, but it looks like there are some sanding marks on the bottom of the shank/bowl and the rim.
2. You want that stem to be nice and thin for at least a 1/4" or so. If it's not, then the button won't do much to improve the grip.
3. Buy a lathe ;)
4. Don't waste your time with silver work and fancy inlays to start with. In your initial post you mentioned wanting to learn to make a pipe. I would just focus on one skill at a time. Learn to make a pipe, then learn to do silver work, etc.
5. Most importantly: I wouldn't solicit advice from guys like me! Ask Bruce, Tyler, Todd and (if you have to) Rad.

My two cents.
Last edited by e Markle on Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate

Post by Nate »

e Markle wrote: For number 3, I'd say you're doing fine - especially if you don't have a lathe. I didn't read all the comments so these may have been mentioned already.
1. It might just be the pic, but it looks like there are some sanding marks on the bottom of the shank/bowl and the rim. 2. You want that stem to be nice and thin for at least a 1/4" or so. If it's not, then the button won't do much to improve the grip.
3. Buy a lathe ;)
4. Don't waste your time with silver work and fancy inlays to start with. In your initial post you mentioned wanting to learn to make a pipe. I would just focus on one skill at a time. Learn to make a pipe, then learn to do silver work, etc.
5. Most importantly: I wouldn't solicit advice from guys like me! Ask Bruce, Tyler, Todd and (if you have to) Rad.

My two cents.
Thank you and I will consider these thoughts for future work! Ha, Bruce, Tyler, Todd and even Rad can comment all they like, but they are busy guys and I've had some good critiques already. Mayhaps in the future ;)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Oh, and I want a lathe....bad. I am working towards saving for the PM lathe. I have had the pleasure of working on many lathes and I want one even if it's just to play on.
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

I do not use the lathe.
Greetings.
Felix
Nate

Post by Nate »

maxmil wrote:I do not use the lathe.
Greetings.
Felix
Well Felix, you certainly do great work without one!