Tapered drill bits?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
stdly

Tapered drill bits?

Post by stdly »

I wonder if anyone knows were I could buy some small diameter tapered drill bits in longer lengths.
Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks
Nick

Post by Nick »

Cool. One question, and maybe I missed this on the site. Where is the bit measured? I'm betting that the 1/8th bit is 1/8th ath the widest point. Is that correct? Say I wanted to use one to widen out the draught hole in stems. What size should I be using?
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Lee Valley tools has all kinds of taper bits in 6" lengths... I would think that should be long enough. http://www.leevalley.com/home/main.asp

Nick- I use an 11/64th inch taper bit for the airway in the stem.... I believe Tyler states in his drilling tutorial that he uses 9/64ths.
stdly

Post by stdly »

random,
Thanks I am in drill bit heaven.
ArtGuy,
I did not see them in the catalogue I will take another look as they are local to me.
Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks
BriarBrian

Post by BriarBrian »

nick wrote: Say I wanted to use one to widen out the draught hole in stems. What size should I be using?

That depends on the size of the tenon, nick, if you have a small tenon that is only 1/4" dia. then you would want to use a 1/8" or the next size up at the most, to drll out the stem. If the tenon has alot of meat on it and is a 5/16" tenon then an 11/64" is about the largest i would use on it.

Hope this helps
Brian
bluesmk

taper bits

Post by bluesmk »

I buy my taper bits from McFeely's....no web site but you can get a catoloue: 1-800-443-7937 they are in Lynchburg ,VA
Dan