Why briar is the "best" pipe wood.

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
Leus

Re: Why briar is the "best" pipe wood.

Post by Leus »

I love this post. I went about a year trying to find out a native wood that could replace briar; it now seems like a waste of time. So every time I see a newcomer asking about alternative materials my canned response is "don't bother." Not I have a good, articulated post to link them to.

By the way, too well written. I think Todd is posting under Sasquatch name...
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Leus wrote: By the way, too well written. I think Todd is posting under Sasquatch name...
Ironic post of the year.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yes that wins by a mile. Todd is indeed posting under the Sasquatch name, but not the wanna-be Johnson fellow. There are, it turns out, TWO people in the world named Todd. I have tried to eliminate the confusion by mostly going under the Sas moniker, but now the secret's out and confusion will reign. Luckily, most of TJ's pipes fit inside of mine, so anyone dumb enough to confuse our work will get exactly what they deserve.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Leus

Post by Leus »

Sasquatch wrote:Yes that wins by a mile. Todd is indeed posting under the Sasquatch name, but not the wanna-be Johnson fellow. There are, it turns out, TWO people in the world named Todd. I have tried to eliminate the confusion by mostly going under the Sas moniker, but now the secret's out and confusion will reign. Luckily, most of TJ's pipes fit inside of mine, so anyone dumb enough to confuse our work will get exactly what they deserve.
Two articulated Todds, huh? Whoddathunkit.

At least I'm pretty sure there is only one Walle.
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Has anyone tried to make a pipe out of briar dust? Now that I started making pipes out of actual briar, I'm creating a lot of dust and I thought, "If I could just glue the tiny little particles of dust together, I know it would make a good pipe." I mean, because it would be made of briar, right? (well, that and a LOT of glue)

Am I right? I'm right, right?

I think from now on Sas should refer to himself as T.S., as in, Todd Sasquatch
and Todd Johnson should refer to himself as T.J., as in T.J. Hooker
or maybe Todd Johnson should just refer to himself as just Hooker and not T.J.
so as not to confuse himself with T.S. OR William Shatner....who, despite playing T.J. Hooker
is actually not a hooker....(but T.J. is a Johnson so does that make him a John???....)
wait...I'm confused...
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

All keeding aside, thanks Sas for the incredibly informative post on briar! and for the comprehensive list of briar suppliers! Nice stuff, man.

Oh, and for the record, fossilized potatoes make great pipes as well as really tasty french fries. Just ask McDonalds.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It's..... been done, unfortunately.

http://www.tophatcigar.com/a.cfm/Pipes/ ... P7384.html

Brylon pipes have gotta hold the record for "most unloved by everyone".
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Sasquatch wrote:It's..... been done, unfortunately.

Wow! I was totally kidding, dude! That's too funny.

I have, of course, seen and heard of pipes made of "Brylon" but I thought that was just a trade name for a '50's "space age" nylon that was made to mimic the properties of briar. I had no idea it was made of actual briar dust AND nylon. Yeeesh! That seems REALLY toxic.
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

monkeykoder

Post by monkeykoder »

Now I have to order some briar to compare I know my pipes smoke about the same as the ones I've bought but I've never actually worked briar so I can't compare there. The only issue I have is the taste and even without the different curing it's not that different once you get a good layer of charcoal in there.
MrChurchwarden

Post by MrChurchwarden »

Sorringowl wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:It's..... been done, unfortunately.

Wow! I was totally kidding, dude! That's too funny.

I have, of course, seen and heard of pipes made of "Brylon" but I thought that was just a trade name for a '50's "space age" nylon that was made to mimic the properties of briar. I had no idea it was made of actual briar dust AND nylon. Yeeesh! That seems REALLY toxic.
What, you don't love plastic fumes? :lol: :lol:
But, really, has anyone ever physically been able to check these out? seems like there would have to be like a meer liner or something
mredmond
Site Supporter

Why briar is the "best" pipe wood.

Post by mredmond »

I have a Brylon pipe that I picked up in a lot of estates that I bought to practice refurbs on. It doesn't have any sort of liner but is obviously not "normal" briar. I've never smoked it and probably won't ever...nothing about it makes me want to smoke it.

Micah
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

Sas - this first post of this thread is really great - thank You for it
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/