yet another volcano....

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DaGamba

yet another volcano....

Post by DaGamba »

When I made my first volcano I said that I would never make another one 'cause it was such a pain in the ass to make. Now days though I seem to see volcanos in every block of briar I take in my hands. I don't know why. And I now days really like to make them. So, here's another one. It was made for a friend of mine. This pipe is his first ever(he's around 65 and never smoked before...). I got the freedom to make a pipe that would fit his face. It's a big pipe and he's a big guy and seeing them together made me sure I made the right decision making a big volcano for him. Although a nicer volcano would of course have been even better...
As always: comments are most welcome and sorry for the poor pictures.

Thanks for looking,

Pär
maxmil

Re: yet another volcano....

Post by maxmil »

Nice pipe, and very well executed.
Greetings.
Felix
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Thanks a lot Felix.
JMG

Post by JMG »

I've never been a fan of volcanoes. I mean really look what they did to Pompeii...ok sorry, bad joke. But seriously, not my favorite shape However, looks like you did a pretty good executing it. The grain is really nice. Did you do a black base layer of stain first? My only critique, and this could just be an illusion from the photo, but the stem side of the bowl looks like it rises up a bit and could be leveled off. Nice looking pipe though, man.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

nice pipe...
if i would think how to make it, i would be happier to see the shank a bit stronger and the mouthpiece a bit thinner... so that the shank to mouthpiece lines are getting from thick to thinner... so to say it (my bad english)... it seems to me that the transition from shank to moutpiece is even and it kind of bothers me... would be happier to see it getting thinner and thinner towards the bit... (hope it is clear what i am trying to say)... :) other than that - a nice pipe... congrat's... :) regards
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Thanx for your comments guys.

@JMG: Yes, did a black base stain first. And I don't know about that rising up thingy. It sure do look like it on the photos but it was nothing I thought about when having the pipe in my hand. Probably a combination of both photo and pipe. And a strange bend of the stem might also help a bit.

@tNd: That's some good thoughts, thanx. Just wish you would have told me before I finished the pipe and sent it of to it's new owner.... :)
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

oouuupsss... sorry my friend... :(
.. hope no harm done...
pipemaking is so interesting and so fun because those little things... we can't possibly see everything until we make our eyes learn how to see... i have a same problem... when i make a pipe i try to take a picture or two of it - 2 dimensional shape is easier to perceive... and then i am trying to get the harmony if possible but not to have a boring design in the same time... to get a pipe that is fun, young looking ... so, when the mouthpiece is going thinner and thinner it is natural that you would not have upper and lower side of the moutpiece in paralel with each other... they will also try to follow those "going thinner and thinner" lines...in general i don't like to have paralel sides unless absolutely necesary... this gives motion to the whole piece... :) hope this helps a bit and really hope no harm done...
best regards my friend....
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

No harm done! The new owner is very happy with the pipe. So then I'm happy.
I've been thinking about taking pictures before finishing a pipe too. It's a good idea. One really see things differently as a photo compared to in real life. It is probably cause it's two dimensional, as you say.
Thanx again, tNd.