Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Charl

Post by Charl »

I promised myself no more olives, blackwood or any other weird and wonderful wood, only briar and briar alone! Then first off, I ran out of briar, and then 2nd, I got given these chunks all the way from Mozambique!
Opinions appreciated as always!
ND Pipes

Re: #1014

Post by ND Pipes »

WOW!!!!!
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I am REALLY digging the way you incorporated the sapwood in there.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yes that's very sharp. Bowl shape is nice, curves are nice. I'd say a bit more material could come off the last.... 1/2 or so of the stem. Especially underneath. Thin it out and add some more curve in there.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

I actually disagree...just barely. It's pretty good the way it is. I think that less material might make it appear too bent.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Not to go against Sas, but I like the pipe scads and feel, to my eye, the stem has decent flow.
I don't know if I would smoke the pipe, but artistically it's really cool. I'm partial to briar, but do enjoy some of my olive woods.
Personally, I find it rather classic.
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Very nice pipe. I also looked at your other pipes on your blog site. Also very nice. I think you can get away with using African wood since you are in Africa, even though briar is, no doubt, the wood of choice in the pipe world. But I notice you also make briar pipes.
The Blackwood looks really great.
Last edited by Mike Messer on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Good god that is a gorgeous pipe! Wow. This is African Blackwood? Is it fairly dense? Would love to know how it smokes.
Thanks for sharing.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

I know absolutely squat about African Blackwood...but this is one good looking pipe.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Hey Charl,
this pipe has the classical flow to it and a touch of Africa reflecting beautifully through the finish .
:thumbsup:

Best,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
BriarWorldNick

Post by BriarWorldNick »

THe Blonde finish on the bottom, is what won me. That is such an intense contrast, and the more pipes I make the more natural curves seem to please my eye, this is an excellent work!
There is nothing like being left alone again, to walk peacefully with oneself in the woods. To boil one's coffee and fill one's pipe, and to think idly and slowly as one does it.

~ Knut Hamsun
Charl

Post by Charl »

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
After bending the stem, that same last 1/2" you wrote about, Sas, is what caught my eye too. At the time I was thinking that it is a big manly pipe and that thinning it will make it too elegant. But in retrospect, it'll make the pipe, well, more "professional".
BTW, I stil think that blackwood is a really decent smoking wood for pipes. It's hard as hell and can take a lot of knocks and bumps. My Monday to Friday "work"-pipe is made from it and I have absolutely no problems. It is on its 3rd stem though! :lol:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Charl, the button on that pipe is big enough to keep the pipe steady even though the stem is not "flat" for miles in front of it, and given that it is such a big pipe, a little more meat on the bitey bits is not foolish. I have found that a smaller button combined with a tapered area where teeth connect, on a big pipe, leads to a very difficult pipe to keep in the teeth. So I think you're fine in terms of function in any event.

To my eye, the stem looks "straighter" on the bottom than on the top, and this is very natural when you bend it like this.... happens to me all the time. I have the stem basically done and looking what I think is fine, and then I bend it and hate final lines. It's never a big re-do, but I almost always do some final touching after the bend.

In this case, it's a personal "style" thing I guess as to how much curve a guy wants in the look. Certainly the shank is fairly straight so having a really swoopy stem is maybe NOT the right approach.

I think I'm sitting on the fence. Or maybe not.

Possibly I am indecisive.

In any event it's a nice pipe.

I'm not a fan of using Blackwood on pipes, have heard stories of it leaking some black resins etc, and those African woods are toxic bastards. Pietenpauw pipes do blackwood fairly frequently, and Jean said he's had no issues in a thread where I was playing the blood-and-thunder prophet about the toxicity of such woods.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I really like this shape and the use of the wood is very attractive. Nice job.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com