Buffing compounds and a bit of confusion.

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
BriarWorldNick

Buffing compounds and a bit of confusion.

Post by BriarWorldNick »

So I have settled on using the Brown Tripoli for my first compound to buff with.

I want to use White Diamond for the second buffing, but mostly what i find is called White Rouge, are these the same things?

Also does anyone here use any particular dealer for things like compounds?

Right now my job is to acquire a good set of resources to turn to for supplies, so any list would help(I have been using the forum here and sort of seeing who people use in certain cases, but if a condensed list is available that would be incredible.)

I kept wondering why my carnauba wax wasn't giving me the shine I wanted, and this forum helped me discover the two compounds I was failing to employ.
There is nothing like being left alone again, to walk peacefully with oneself in the woods. To boil one's coffee and fill one's pipe, and to think idly and slowly as one does it.

~ Knut Hamsun
Dixie_piper

Re: Buffing compounds and a bit of confusion.

Post by Dixie_piper »

pimopipecraft.com
jhlowe.com

Those two sites will have everything from briar, to bits and finishing products. As a noob myself, those sites, eBay, Home Depot and the flea market have supplied all my needs thus far.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

They are not entirely the same thing, but they are similar. White rouge is slightly finer, so you may need to work it a little longer after tripoli.

Trivia tidbit of the day: "Rouge" is French for "red", so "white red" strikes me as silly. "Jewlers Rouge" is a red compound, made red by the primary abrasive which is ferric oxide, it's a very fine abrasive, but it's also used as a coloring buff for gold, brass, and copper since it imparts a warm glow.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »