Latest game of connect-the-dots

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

ooohhh lala....I like this pipe! Youser that is very cool!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
marks

Post by marks »

That must have taken almost forever to make. Looks great!
Hoosier_Daddy

Post by Hoosier_Daddy »

Sorry to bring up such an old topic, but I just have to say that The Nun is one of the coolest pipes I've ever seen!

Too bad I'm always broke or my next pipe would be a Random. 8)
Of course that's just my opinion... I could be wrong.
Hoosier_Daddy

Post by Hoosier_Daddy »

Maybe if I stopped buying so many cheap pipes on eBay I could start up a Random pipe savings fund! :mrgreen:

Seriously tho... I love that pipe!
It's almost like an "egg in a basket" or a "hooded cobra" kinda design.

Very unique!
stdly

Post by stdly »

random,
Now that it has bee re-hashed and I am new here I would like to say WOW that is a fine specimen. I like your rustication allot dam the whole pipe for that matter. Any hints for us newbie’s on your technique? I feel proud for you just looking at it. I would not even attempt that one. Again nice work!
Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks
JMB

Post by JMB »

random, when you say " use a ball grinder and poke the pipe a lot of times."
can you give us a pic of what you are talking about. Sure would help us "newbie's" out.
JMB

Post by JMB »

Thanks random, you paint a good picture. I should be able to try my hand at it.

random also wrote:
"What I recommend is taking a Dremel or equivalent, a bottle of Bushmills, and a full box of BandAids into the shop"

Now there is a man that Knows how to get the job done.lol
stdly

Post by stdly »

random wrote:Thanks Steve.

Hints on technique? You mean rustication technique? I just use a ball grinder and poke the pipe a lot of times. It took me forever to learn how to rusticate, initially I was too logical (tight-assed) about the whole thing. Here's my tip for newbies who want to learn rustication: practice, practice, practice. If you still can't get it, have a couple shots of whiskey and then practice, practice, practice. Sooner or later you'll either get "it" (whatever "it" is for you) or give up.

I did develop a fairly fine (meaning "detailed" not "exalted") feel for a rotary grinder in the process of learning grain-carving. I could probably rusticate in the dark (since I do much of it by feel) but then I'd lose track of what I'd done and not done and poke my eye out or something.

Some guys use special tools they've made to tear up briar. I wanted to use something "standard"... that's not the right word. I wanted to be able to rusticate in a way totally independent of the briar's grain pattern. I sometimes rusticate parts of stems, and sometimes blend the two together (which is kind of tough if your rustication technique is based on briar characteristics like fracturing).

Anyway I'm glad you like it, and hope you find something that works well for you.
random,
Thanks! That was exactly what I was hopeing for so I gave it a try with three different cutters in my grinder you can take a look here http://www.pattispawprints.com/pipepage ... ations.jpg
The first I used a 1/32 straight bit cutting straight on.
The second was a 1/8 ball nose.
Third was a 1/4 straight cutter held on 45 degress and repeated at a pirpendicular to the first set of cuts.

They are better than I expected for a first try so now I will try some scotch in the mix and see if I can't do better. Thank again!
Regards,
Steve J

Nick

Post by Nick »

While I'm sure thats true - looking different stained - those are some nice looking textures. I like the third one the best.
stdly

Post by stdly »

random,
Thanks! I will put on some finishes to see the true result. The thing is I had tried this before and never had any luck but after reading your post I just felt I could do it. So I was happy with the new first tries. I realize that you said the most important thing is to practice, practice, and practice and of course a couple scotch's as well. :D

Nick,
Thanks as well! I like all of them. Maybe a combination of one or more, it will come to me now I am sure. I am not too sure about doing it to a pipe I spent many hours on that will take a little more cahoonies. The scrap of briar was easy.
I explained how I did it go for it.
Regards,
Steve J