squaring blocks

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
jthpipes

squaring blocks

Post by jthpipes »

I have been having difficulty getting the drilling perfect lately and I'm guessing the problem is that I'm not squaring the block correctly. How does everyone else do it? are there any tricks to squaring the block? I'm not off by a lot but just enough that I would not want to even attempt to sell them.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Get ready to be horrified....

I don't square my blocks, not a single one, and my drilling comes out perfect every single time.

It does help, I would wager, that my blocks come from my suppliers pretty square - but they're not perfect. I'm just *extremely* careful about lining things up.

Another horrific statement...

I don't measure a darn thing when I'm drilling/boring. I line everything up by sight, double-check it all, and go by feel. I haven't missed in a year or two, and I'll probably never miss again as long as I'm careful.

I attribute the bulk of my success in this area to doing all my drilling and boring on a lathe instead of a drill press. Also, I use high-quality bits, big fat bits (like reshaped silver and deming bits) and the shortest possible bit for any particular hole.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I used to do it the same way Kurt decribes but now I square them. This has really helped get the drilling perfect and I make less pipes for myself now :D

I bought a belt sander / disk sander combo and use the disk to square off the blocks. I quare the bottom first and then use that side as a guide to square the sides to it.

I believe this will cure what ails you
aaron

Post by aaron »

I do as Artguy does his. I square ALL (over-achiever) sides of my blocks. I do the bottom first, as he stated. How have you been squaring them before if you think you are doing it wrong?

aaron
I just want to be the best that I can be.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Aaron,

Really, I think that you will only find it necessary to square the sides of the block that will be clamped in the vise. Over-achievement by squaring the top, bottom, front and back are really wasted effort. It may make it look nice to begin your drilling with a perfectly symmetrical and square piece of wood, but as soon as drilling is finished the shape will change anyway. Squaring the top or back faces of the block may help when you are drilling to provide a flat surface (assuming you are doing a shape that requires perpendicular drilling of this sort) so that your bit will not trail off track on the initial plunge of the press, but really this should not be a problem if you simply use a punch, countersink, or guide bit to begin the process. Really, with this art there is no use spending time needlessly on one step where it can be applied elsewhere. That is, though, if efficiency is part of your strategy. I used to use methods such as yours, but have found through the course of time that I would rather use that squaring time of this sort could be better spent elsewhere.

Best,
Jeff
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I should clarify, I use the disk sander to square 3 sides to each other. I do not bother squaring the front and back. l_l <--- Looks like that when done.
Jeffery

Post by Jeffery »

Yes, I do as John and square 3 sides...

I also use a self-centering vise... It's made all the difference in the world...
jthpipes

Post by jthpipes »

I bought a belt sander / disk sander combo and use the disk to square off the blocks. I quare the bottom first and then use that side as a guide to square the sides to it.
this is what I do and I measure to make sure the sides are exactly the same measurement all the way around the block. Maybe my problem is with the cheap chuck I bought. My first one came out perfect and I seem to be 1/8 to 1/16th of an inch off every pipe since. I even go as far as to make a line all the way around the center of the block to make sure i'm lining it up in the center. maybe i'm just not being careful enoughtin lining it up.
Jeffery

Post by Jeffery »

You need a self-centering vise... it's made my life tons o better...

http://ripplingbrook.com/Vise.html
jthpipes

Post by jthpipes »

I'm using a self centering chuck on a midi lathe. I think I either got lucky on the first one or I'm just not being anal enough when lining it up. I'm probably rushing myself through it. next time I will make sure I check it from every angle and make sure its lined up center. thanks for the input!
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Also make sure that the setup is eye level when you are matching up the bit and the line you have drawn on the side of the block. If you are looking down at it or from below it, you may be having your perception of where the bit is pointing a little skewed.
marks

Post by marks »

In addition to squaring and using a self centering vise, I learned the hard way that I have to feed the bit slowly, or it can get deflected, particularly if you plunge the bit into the briar.
Clemons

Post by Clemons »

The only other advise I could give to the ones posted here is that I use a Brad Point drill bit and these wander alot less than normal drill bits. And Like Kurt said (Hey Kurt!) use the shortest drill bit possible to prevent flexing. If I am drilling through a rough surface I will first use an end mill to flatten the surface. I haven't used a lathe to drill yet but I have an indurstrial Delta press that will drill a 6 inch hole in one shot.
Greg Clemons
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Remember always to place the same side of the block against the same jaw of the vise. If you were to drill the airway, then flip the block around before drilling the bowl (or let the opposite chuck jaw present itself if using a lathe), any error present in your vise or setup will show.