Two pipes of different styles

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JanPipes

Two pipes of different styles

Post by JanPipes »

Today I wanted to show two pipes completed this week.

The first pipe is purely functionalist. Simple shapes are in contrast with the grain of wood.
This shape has a name Gonio No. 10086 (Dimensions and weight here.)
ImageImage

The second pipe is based on the classics. The upper side of the pipe is an interesting painting of wood, which is highlighted by sanding the surface. This shape has a name Nanuk No. 10087 (Dimensions and weight here.)
ImageImage

I wish you all a nice weekend and on Monday I'd like to read your opinions. Jan
CedarSlayer

Re: Two pipes of different styles

Post by CedarSlayer »

I like the Gonio 10086 enough to want to copy it. I would personally let the bottom curve should continue up to the mouthpiece unbroken in it's purity. I would also try to do a subtle redefinition of the side curves as I think a cleaner curve would improve it's Je ne sais quoi. Truthfully though, I have to push pretty hard to find a flaw, I really like this pipe.

The Nanuk No. 10087 is a delight. The moose antler blends in texture and luminance perfectly while remaining a striking contrast in color. I am curious to see some better critique of this pipe, as I cannot find a flaw.

Bob
Last edited by CedarSlayer on Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather look stupid today, than be stupid tomorrow.

http://toolmakingart.com/
ND Pipes

Re: Two pipes of different styles

Post by ND Pipes »

nice... i like it a lot :P
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/