found time to make #5

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jthpipes

found time to make #5

Post by jthpipes »

http://www.jthpipes.com/mypipes5.html

would like your honest opinion as always....
thanks for looking!
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice looking pipe there. I like the way you oriented the grain. The bowl shank transition seems a bit tentative to me. Neither sharp nor soft. But then again, I prefer sharp transitions, so take that with a grain of salt.

Did you turn this on a lathe? Additionally, how many coats of stain did you use? And what colors?
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Not too shabby John! Very nice pipe, I like the color and the shape!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
jthpipes

Post by jthpipes »

Did you turn this on a lathe? Additionally, how many coats of stain did you use? And what colors?
no, I did all by hand after drilling on lathe. I used Medium brown stain from pimo and stained between sandings 150-220-320-400-600 grit so I guess there was 5 coats put on and sanded off and one final stain before buffing.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Very cool. Looks like you did a great job on getting the pipe uniformly round.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I like the pipe. Very symmetrical. Not my style stain, but it looks good as well. I like bright and vibrant colors (not exclusively tho).

I have one thing that I see on picture #2 on your site. It looks like the shank is nice and straight but that maybe your mortise is crooked (??) because the stem appears to (could be the picture) angle off to the left of the picture.

Also an FYI, you call it your fifth pipe to us and under your "my pipes" section but on the page for that pipe you call it your fourth pipe... just an FYI.
jthpipes

Post by jthpipes »

I have one thing that I see on picture #2 on your site. It looks like the shank is nice and straight but that maybe your mortise is crooked (??) because the stem appears to (could be the picture) angle off to the left of the picture.
didn't notice till you said that but it does look off. I will have to take a look at it (could be angle of picture) Gave it to my bother inlaw to try out and give feedback. thanks for the input!

oh and I noticed it said fourth but I was at work and could not change it till I got home. It is now listed as #5 thanks for letting me know that.