Zinsser Spray Shellac

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
Sasquatch

Re: Zinsser Spray Shellac

Post by Sasquatch »

You DHPM bullies have no vision.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
vasco

Post by vasco »

Alan L wrote:
Thomas Tkach wrote: I've got some 90% iso, will that work to cut shellac or dissolve records?
Probably not, you want denatured alcohol, which is 96% ethanol with some methanol added to kill you if you drink it. Gotta love prohibition-era rules for industrial alcohol... :roll:

I like to just get a bottle of Everclear or similar PGA, it's still 96% ethyl acohol and you can use it as a drink mixer if you're brave...It's more expensive than the can o' denatured you'll find on the shelf near the bullseye shellac at the hardware store, though. :(
Here (in Portugal) the denatured alcohol is about 85% ethanol 10% methanol and something else to make it blue, I think it can have other things mixed in like acetone and the like.
Will that work better than 96% ethanol ? The 96% ethanol is only available in 1/4 liter bottles, but each cost about 0,80€ so the price is not an issue.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Vasco, I'd be afraid the blue dye would show in the shellac. You really don't need a lot of alcohol, so the .25 liter bottles ought to be fine.