hello all so here is the 2nd - Bent Brandy

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Rhino

hello all so here is the 2nd - Bent Brandy

Post by Rhino »

Hi there,

i'd like to show here my second homemade pipe.

But first I'll show you a little about my workflow :mrgreen:

At first was designing. I used CAD software to draw the exact lines. Then drilling, gross shaping... as you all know.

After that was fine shaping. I have to practice how to control the form, the lines... and did a lots measuring. Now I added the stem and tried to match the whole shape.

Before buffing I did the staining. From P400 up to P1000, back stain after 400, 600, brown after 800, gold after 1000; but it seem to be pale when I finished the contrast staining. Don't know what's wrong :roll:

Now is the final thing:

Comments? :?: Yes? :shock: No? :banghead: Good? :mrgreen: Bad? :twisted:

are all welcome! :thumbsup:
Pipe is very simple, reflecting an attitude to life.
Leus

Re: hello all so here is the 2nd - Bent Brandy

Post by Leus »

That's a stunning pipe. What other things do you make besides pipes?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Some blocks of briar take stain better than others - not much can be done about that. However, this staining job is really quite good. Maybe not what you expected, but nothing to be ashamed of.

And somebody, it seems, has been reading the forum and taking notes. :) Either that or you've got a well developed eye. I'd wager this isn't eh first time you've been designing stuff, either as hobby or full time work.

There's not much to critique here. The stem, as on the previous one, is too long. And the shank is a bit short, but the saddle of the stem balances it this time. I would leave the saddle portion of the stem, and reduce the length of the flat area by about 30%. At the same time, slightly reduce the amount of bend.

I'm not a fan of the way the shank intersects the bottom of the bowl. It's visually distracting to me, though that may be just me. The shank may also be a bit thick near the bowl from top to bottom, but it's difficult to tell from the photos.

Overall it's a very good pipe, and it only needs minor tweaks to take it from "good" to "great". Nice work!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

This is by my opinion a sharp looking 'second' pipe,also my congrats!
The detailed photo session of the progress step by step is also a child of fine work.
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

Leus wrote:That's a stunning pipe. What other things do you make besides pipes?
hi Leus, I'm designer and make all mass production products from cell phone to vehicle. But only on paper :lol:
Abi Natur wrote:This is by my opinion a sharp looking 'second' pipe,also my congrats!
The detailed photo session of the progress step by step is also a child of fine work.
hi Abi, the olive wood pipe on your site is really beautiful. I like the grain.
http://www.tobaccotaste.com/index.php?topic=269.0
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

That's a nice second. You might want to use a dark brown as an under stain instead of black. Black tends to give you some goofy green highlights.
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

KurtHuhn wrote:Some blocks of briar take stain better than others - not much can be done about that. However, this staining job is really quite good. Maybe not what you expected, but nothing to be ashamed of.

And somebody, it seems, has been reading the forum and taking notes. :) Either that or you've got a well developed eye. I'd wager this isn't eh first time you've been designing stuff, either as hobby or full time work.

There's not much to critique here. The stem, as on the previous one, is too long. And the shank is a bit short, but the saddle of the stem balances it this time. I would leave the saddle portion of the stem, and reduce the length of the flat area by about 30%. At the same time, slightly reduce the amount of bend.

I'm not a fan of the way the shank intersects the bottom of the bowl. It's visually distracting to me, though that may be just me. The shank may also be a bit thick near the bowl from top to bottom, but it's difficult to tell from the photos.

Overall it's a very good pipe, and it only needs minor tweaks to take it from "good" to "great". Nice work!
hi Kurt,

this shape of bent brandy was inspired by Yashtylov, the russian pipemaker. My respect to him!

All your suggestions lead to the original shape from him. I mean, reduction of the stem. I did reduced the length of the shank and balanced it with a longer stem - actually the length of the saddle part. And the shank is a lillte thicker as I planed.

After this one I also did some experiments for staining by using some old pipes. It deponds on the grain of the block. But i just want to make it clear, how can I get a nice contrast staining. This one was stained by dark brown and yellow, the grain was good, the staining did nothing. A "naked" briar, it will also look like this after buffing...

this one was black and red stained, looks OK, but still not contrast staining.

then for this one I used the same method of the Bent Brady I showed in this post. Black after 400, 600... gold after 1000. But totally different results! I was expecting sth like balck - yellow, but it's dark brown and gold :? Ok, it's a little more contrast..
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

e Markle wrote:That's a nice second. You might want to use a dark brown as an under stain instead of black. Black tends to give you some goofy green highlights.
I hate green on my pipes :twisted: so i used dark brown after P800, tried to avoid that but not so successful :takethat:
Leus

Post by Leus »

Rhino wrote:
e Markle wrote:That's a nice second. You might want to use a dark brown as an under stain instead of black. Black tends to give you some goofy green highlights.
I hate green on my pipes :twisted: so i used dark brown after P800, tried to avoid that but not so successful :takethat:
Try using red on top of the black, before sanding.

Well, it shows you are a designer. You really need to start doing handcut stems!

Great work (and really nice photography, too.)
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

thanks for the "construction" pics too. Very helpful.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com