No. 19

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
pennsyscot

No. 19

Post by pennsyscot »

Finally found some time to make a pipe. Here is my 19th, cumberland stem with integral tenon. Please excuse the poor photography. I think I need to adjust my camera settings. The contrast is very low and the smooth parts have a dull grainy appearance. As always, I welcome all comments, criticisms and suggestions. Thanks for your reply, Scot
Last edited by pennsyscot on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: No. 19

Post by TRS »

That's really sharp. You should find time to make a lot more pipes. I'm a fan.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Honestly, I can't find anything wrong with this (been a long time since I said that). Could the stem shank transition be better? I don't know - hard to tell from the photos. Maybe the bit could be thinner, maybe not. I would coat the bowl, but it's not improper to leave it naked.

Excellent job! This is a pipe I would pick up at a shop or show to get a closer look.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
mathias65

Post by mathias65 »

i agree, beautiful pipe!
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

Nice!!
Uncle Arthur

Post by Uncle Arthur »

Absolutely gorgeous!
flix

Post by flix »

Very fine work, Scot. One question, not to complain: Why did you round off the top of the bowl above the line? I think it's an interesting interpretation of the Rhodie shape, btw...
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Beautiful - a dome of fire. Love the rusticated/smooth contrast, and the shape. I'd say the stem is a little thick, and you could add a bit more curve/continue the shank curve by taking some material off the bottom. But that's being very fussy indeed. Great pipe.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
stummel bum

Post by stummel bum »

Fantastic! I love the rounded top. Something about taking a traditional shape and adding a bit of personal flair like that really appeals to me.
Cheers,
Rob
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

I love this pipe(which i do not say so often) ,i will NOT analyze this beautiful work in terms of ; this is here to thin and that is there to thick .
It has a soul merged with technical finesse,the grain of the bowl is combined with the lines and rustication A1 .
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

flix wrote: One question, not to complain: Why did you round off the top of the bowl above the line
This was not my original intent. I was chasing a flaw and came to this. I'm not dissatisfied with the round top.
Sasquatch wrote: I'd say the stem is a little thick, and you could add a bit more curve/continue the shank curve by taking some material off the bottom.
I agree that stem looks a little chunky. I may correct this. It is also a little thick behind the button. I measured the bit thickness and found it to be .164". I usually shoot for .150".

Thanks everyone for taking the time to offer your opinions.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Here's a quick pic with the bottom line just a little more continuous for the curve, and moving into a slightly thinner bit....it's not an earthshattering improvement, but I would say it would take that pipe into the realm of un-improveable, and in some circles, it would add something to the value (but I don't know how much).

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!