Homegrown and cured tobacco

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
NuViking

Post by NuViking »

I found my seeds on ebay.
helicopters do not eat their offspring
blacksmithtim

Re: Homegrown and cured tobacco

Post by blacksmithtim »

I tried last summer and didn't have much luck getting the sprouts. Intend to try again this year with a few plants.

I'd like to, eventually do more.

In the meantime what I'm curious about is finding a tobacco farmer that would part with twenty to fifty pounds directly.

It seems to me as an interim that it would make sense to do the equivalent of farmer's market or local food and get the fresh leaf and cure it myself.

I have tried posting different places and even wrote the burley growers association with no reply.

So if anyone here knows a burley grower who would be willing to sell some produce I would like to be connected.

Intend to talk to some of the folks at the farmer's market. If they've got space or are willing to let me put some in, I'd tend a crop of burley this summer.
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

careful, ATF might get their nose in it if you plan to sell it to the public at a farmers market.

seedman.com has some coupon codes for 10% off first order, just google it, and his video is sorta crappy in my opinion. Youtube was more informational than his video. His book though seems informative. You would imagine $2 is expensive for 25-50 seeds if you get 500,000 off of a plant. Damn, one could make $20,000 off seeds from one plant at that rate.

I got some seeds from someone on the forum here, and have lots of extra if anyone needs some, I don't mind sharing. There are about 7 strains I have
blacksmithtim

Post by blacksmithtim »

I'm not looking to sell it at a farmer's market.

I want to buy it the same way I would buy any other produce direct from the grower.

And for many of the same reasons.

1) I want to support local, sustainable agriculture.
2) I want a better product.
3) I do not want all the processing.
4) I want more control of what goes into my body.

Ideally I'd like to develop a relationship with a grower or grow my own such that I know it is organic, relatively if not officially.

If there are ATF procedures and fees involved with my purchase of picked leaves, or dried leaves otherwise unprocessed I will adhere to them.

This is simply to augment my own efforts to grow my own.

And, yes, if you have sees and want to give or swap I have some too and there is a good friend of mine who actually got a crop out of the ground last summer.