Peterson P-lip Underside Slit

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
blacksmithtim

Peterson P-lip Underside Slit

Post by blacksmithtim »

Have an estate Peterson System Standard 314 (not positive on the number only because it's been some time since I looked it up).

It isn't a terribly elegant pipe, but it is my first Peterson and I have some affection for it.

It has developed a slit on the underside, presumably from the regular scrape of pipe cleaners 'round the bend from the draw hole.

I suppose with some digging about I could track down another stem, however, for the present I have more skill and time than money.

So two questions:

1) Would a daub of epoxy there be out of line?

2) Is there a trick to cleaning P-lips to avoid this in the future?

I ask the second because while the Peterson isn't my absolute favorite pipe, it is in the top three and the best "working pipe" I've had.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Re: Peterson P-lip Underside Slit

Post by kbadkar »

I'll probably get some crap for this cheapo fix, but here goes...

Slice a thin sliver off an old scrap ebonite pipe stem as a patch. Rough up with sandpaper around the hole in the stem. Apply a little CA glue around the hole to match the patch, avoiding the hole itself so it doesn't squeeze into the airway. Heat up the patch a little bit so it's pliable. Stick the patch on (have a small square of tin foil handy) and clamp with your finger with the tin foil in between for a few minutes. After fully cured, you can sand the patch down and polish/buff as usual. It works and if done well, is hard to notice.

Mind you, it will wear away again if you keep scraping the pipe cleaner metal tip around the bend. Before using the pipe cleaner, try pre-bending the very tip of the wire (with pliers if necessary) so when you align and insert the pipe cleaner, it won't scrape.
blacksmithtim

Post by blacksmithtim »

Thank you. I'm not familiar with CA glue. If CA stands for something could you spell it out for me?

I have tried the bend trick and that seems to only change where it scrapes. Although given the age of the pipe it wouldn't surprise me if it simply is part of a p-lip and something that must be accepted.

As for it being a "cheap fix" ...

While I have certainly enjoyed finer pipes and tobaccos, and am very glad for joys like my Savinelli Canadian, I am not a snob. You take what life hands you and a contemplative smoke has often helped me see another perspective and take on the challenges with some grace.

Years back when I smoked the pipe less (and those thrice damned coffin nails more) a nice little collection "grew legs". When I migrated back my collection was and remains "functional".

I'll happily patch my Peterson, and periodically gin up another bit of cherry or apple to augment a few cobs, the Savinelli, an old Bob White (that is amazing) and a roop. And I'll fill them with Carter Hall until fortunes change. I'm sorry, but not very apologetic if that offends the Virginia in $150+ freehands crowd. ;)

Thank you for the advice.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

blacksmithtim wrote: I'm not familiar with CA glue. If CA stands for something could you spell it out for me?
CA stands for cyanoacrylate, or Super Glue, Krazy Glue, etc.
blacksmithtim

Post by blacksmithtim »

Gotcha. Thank you.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Oh yeah, about the pipe cleaner end... it has two thin metal wires coiled around each other. The two little pointy ends are what scratches up the inside of the airway. With small pliers you can bend just a mm of the little tips of the wire back 180 deg so the rounded bent ends don't gouge into your airway without significantly increasing the diameter of the pipe cleaner. If you disassemble the pipe for cleaning and have enough room in the P-lip hole and airway to fit a doubled up pipe cleaner, then just bend the end of the cleaner (1/2" down or whatever) with your fingers and insert it through the P-lip hole and pull it out of the tapered tenon end.