Chucks for lathes

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Nick

Chucks for lathes

Post by Nick »

So I'm probably going to get a lathe really soon (crosses fingers). What kind of chuck do I need? I remember hearing that a self centering chuck is the way to go. But where does one find one? I did a google and found a few things, but wasn't sure what'd work (with a delta midi lathe). Do I just need one to attach to the face plate? Or do they come with a morse taper thingie?

Additionally, what kind of attachement do you use for attaching a sanding disk? Or a buffing wheel? I think I got the buffing thing covered. I got an arbor for that a while ago to use in a drill press. Hmmm maybe not. I know the drill bit side of it is a morse taper 2. At least I think thats what I need.

Help?!
joshl

Post by joshl »

I highly recomend the Talon chuck made by Oneway of Canada. It is a pricy piece of equipment (about $210 w/ adapter), but well worth it. As far as the attachment goes, that will be brand specific to your lathe, but there are a number of adapters for the Oneway chucks that will attach directly to your drive spindle. You can check out the Oneway line of chucks @ http://www.oneway.on.ca/chucks/index.htm

BTW Grizzly makes a cheap knock-off of the Oneway chuck, it costs about $50 and can only be attached to a few different types of spindles. It might be OK as a temporary chuck but would probably be more of a headache than it's worth.

As far as how to attach a sanding disk?? Maybe one of the Midi-Lathe owners can enlighten you. As for me I use a Shopsmith that uses a 5/8 spindle w/ setscrew. Changing from my lathe to disk sander to buffer takes no time at all. I'm sure that a change in the setup for the Delta is not much more difficult.

Best of luck,

Josh
abbeypipes

chucks

Post by abbeypipes »

a 4 jaw self centering chuck is the way to go,I am handy with welding and I welded two pieces of angle iron to two jaws and that is my chuck,never let me down yet,good second hand chucks can be bought it's a case of looking round good luck
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Check out:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com
They have lathes and chucks.

On a Delta or Jet Midi Lathe, you have the option of attaching stuff to the spindle with either a 1"x8tpi thread or a No.2 Morse Taper. The Midi-Lathe also uses MT2 on the tailstock, so you can move your drill chuck from the tailstock to the headstock depending on your needs.

I use a OneWay scroll chuck (bought from woodturnerscatalog.com). I have the No2 jaws, as well as the spigot jaws - for turning different stuff.

I got my Lathe from Amazon - they had it for $199, with free shipping, and I bought a $5 item at the same time to get over the $200 mark to get the $25-off promotion.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I use a Midi lathe, too. Whatever brand of chuck, and however you create the two jaws, I'd recommend buying one that tightens with a key. The less-expensive versions of the 4-jaw scroll chucks usually use a couple of levers to tighten, and I don't think that allows you to torque down enough.

Jack
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That, of course, varies with the user. :)

I can get more grab with a couple of levers than I can I can with a key.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I have a jet mini lathe that is all but identical to the Delta Midi. I use a oneway scroll chuck that I bought at woodworkers supply. Nice thing about that place is the adapter comes attached and free with the chuck. I have seen come places that want another 20 bucks for the adapter.

I was told on a bowl turning board that the scroll chuck is good for the smaller Jet and Delta lathes but the talon may be too bulky and would wear the bearings in the headstock quicker.

I love my oneway scroll chuck.
joshl

Post by joshl »

Actually the Oneway chuck (standard scroll chuck, uses 2 leavers to tighten) is 1 lb. (4.5 lbs vs. 3.5 lbs.) heavier than the Talon (same as Oneway chuck but is lighter and uses a key for tightening) I don't think either of these would create more wear on the bearings of smaller lathes. As a matter of fact, Oneway of Canada recommends both the Oneway Chuck and the Talon Chuck for owners of mini and mid-size lathes. There is a Stronghold chuck made by Oneway of Canada that is 8 lbs and is recommended for lathes with a 16" swing or greater. Perhaps this is what those on the bowl turning board were refering too??
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

You know, now that I think of it, that was it....... He said to get either the Talon or Scroll chuck but not the Stronghold... sorry about that
Nick

Post by Nick »

So a self centering chuck is the way to go. And the delta uses either the MT2 or a thread of some sort, right?
joshl

Post by joshl »

Definitely go with a self centering (or scroll) chuck. Independent jawed chucks are a pain in the butt to center. Apparently Delta's Midi-Lathe takes a 1" - 8 RH thread which is a common size. You should not have any problems finding an adapter for whatever chuck you decide to go with. Best of luck!!
pipemaker

Post by pipemaker »

Ideally, two chucks will give you the most versitility. A self centering chuck for round stock such as stem rod, and a 4 jaw independent chuck, using two of the jaws for boring stummels.

There are advantages to having the capability to bore a block somewhere other than the centerline, and taping the jaws to accept a simple pivot point assures that the block can be rotated so the centerline of the draft hole and that of the tobacco chamber remain in perfect alignment.

Mike