Shaping Suggestions

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
pennsyscot

Shaping Suggestions

Post by pennsyscot »

Here is my 13th in the rough. It has not turned out as I have invisioned. The stem is cumberland(I would have chosen ebonite or black acrylic, but thats what I had available.) with a delrin tenon. I was goin to finish it up as is, but decided to ask for some suggestions first.
I planned to have a wide flat shank with a subtle curve, didn't happen. I have about 3/16" above draught hole at the bowl shank juncture and 3/16" below the mortise.
Large flaw left side. There is plenty of meat there but if I chase it I think it will ruin the shape. I think it needs to be plump on the bottom.
On most of my previous pipes I have created a square slot. I want to do a trumpet flare on this one. What types of tools and techniques do you guys use to shape this? I would appreciate any comments or advice offered. Thanks, Scot
flix

Re: Shaping Suggestions

Post by flix »

Do you have a dremel tool? If so, you could do a Savinelli style shallow rustication. It appears that a more gnarly rustication would open up the big flaw too much. It should be a challenge even then to get the dremel to finesse the area around the flaw. HTH!