estate pipes a good buy?

General pipe discussion
dogwood

estate pipes a good buy?

Post by dogwood »

are estate pipes a good buy? to me it seems like it's a good way to get a couple cheap good pipes. what do you experienced smokers think? hopefully i won't get one that kurt was smoking latakia out of though!
e Markle

Re: estate pipes a good buy?

Post by e Markle »

That's like asking if used cars are a good buy :) Sure, some are.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

e Markle wrote:That's like asking if used cars are a good buy :) Sure, some are.
Yup... it depends on the pipe maker and it depends on the condition.

As an "investment", you have to be knowledgeable about brands, makers, models, grades, and market value. And you have to be willing to "invest" the time (and have tools and experience) in a fixer-upper to turn a profit.

As for finding a decent smoking but cheap smoking tool, you can't tell online if the pipe smokes well or see if there are any engineering problems. You can somewhat judge condition online and ask questions. Condition of the pipe is important here and picking a brand that is known for consistent quality control. I would say if you are scouring eBay for a deal on a good looking pipe that smokes well, try Stanwell. They have a wide selection of decent designs (often created by top Danish/Euro pipe artists), are generally well put together, AND they are reasonably priced in the estate market and new too. Others may have brand/value suggestions. Peterson is another good one.

If you have a local pipe shop, you can actually handle the pipes, see what you like, feel the weight, disassemble and re-assemble, check fit and function, etc. Usually, a pipe shop has a decent selection of "seconds" from the main manufacturers which will go for half price. For the most part, these seconds smoke as well as the firsts, but have some blemish. The pipe shop will hook you up and you will not regret your purchase. Ebay, on the other hand, is kinda a 50-50 proposition. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I would say, buy a new second and enjoy the process of breaking-in a virgin... and your relationship with the pipe will be more profound.
dogwood

Post by dogwood »

thanks guys. i actually have the opportunity to see the pipes in person at a local tobacconist. i'm going to check out a couple dunhills and cavicchis that they have. i think they have one or two stanwells and savinellis too. i'd really like to get a cavicchi or two.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

I don't have a large collection but I have had great success with some estate pipes I bought for really cheap at a local antiques store. I don't think I paid more than $25 for any of them. They were a sorry sight at first but after cleaning, buffing and waxing they look great and the ones I kept smoke better than most of my newer pipes. If you can look past the grime and oxidation you can find some really affordable, great smoking pipes. Do be careful on eBay...many sellers don't know much about pipes, especially many selling lots, and if you aren't careful you can end up like this "guy I know" who thought he was getting some decent Kaywoodies and ended up with putty filled Grabows...what a clown, that guy. :|
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

mredmond wrote: Do be careful on eBay...many sellers don't know much about pipes, especially many selling lots, and if you aren't careful you can end up like this "guy I know" who thought he was getting some decent Kaywoodies and ended up with putty filled Grabows...what a clown, that guy. :|
:lol: I've bought a couple pipes on eBay that make me damn proud of my first couple homemade pipes!
dogwood

Post by dogwood »

the ones i'm looking at are half off, slightly used dunhills, cavicchis, etc. at a local store. i took a quick look at a couple but will go back to inspect further before i buy. it seems like a good way to get a few good pipes until i start on my first handmade ones. thanks for the info. your experience is very helpful.