Deleted

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Gatorade

Deleted

Post by Gatorade »

gone
Last edited by Gatorade on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
JMB

Post by JMB »

Dang random, I had to look this one up.

Main Entry: des·ic·cant
Pronunciation: 'de-si-k&nt
Function: noun
: a drying agent (as calcium chloride)

still don't know much. Any "brand" name to go with your suggestion.

Thanks
jmb
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

At one point cheaperthandirt.com was offering big paks of military dessicant for sale. I used some to dry some flowers for my wife.

I do not know if you want to use that on briar. Dessicant is designed to keep things bone dry. and dry it fairly quickly. Aside from the problem of drying out too fast and cracking, it is my opinion (and only opinion) that briar shouldn't be bone dry.

I would say, seal the briar in an airtight box, as is, and send it on its way. If the ambient air is good enough for regular storage, it's good enough for shipping without the addition of drying agents. No?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
abbeypipes

drying

Post by abbeypipes »

If it was me,I would put the briar in paper bags ,as it allows the briar to breathe and will slow down any drying that takes place thus avoiding cracks,also try to keep the briar in as cool a temperature as you can.If the briar is quite fresh or green as we say in the uk put some shavings or absorant material with it to absorb moisture.It may be worth searching the web for other methods as there are lots more,others that spring to mind are coating with paint ,parafin wax,so long as it does not go in to the grain.
good luck
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

I'm not sure if I'd want to put the briar in a plastic container, especially if the briar has any moisture in it. Maybe a cardboard box packed with newspaper.