Reformed Meerschaum?

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
m.c.

Reformed Meerschaum?

Post by m.c. »

I haven't found a thread dealing with making meerschaum pipes on this forum. I'd be glad if I were the first to ask:) Here (http://www.tobacco-barn.com/s-165-carve ... -kits.aspx) the business claims its "reformed meerschuam" is significantly different from "pressed meerschaum", but does not mention its merit or otherwise in "true" quality. Have you tried this? How does it work? (smoking, absorbing, shaping, sculpting, finishing...)
Frank

Re: Reformed Meerschaum?

Post by Frank »

Trying to read between the lines of their statement - what they seem to be saying is that instead of the usual "pressed meerschaum" made from meerschaum dust produced from carving/sanding, they've pressed small chunks together.

I haven't carved the stuff from scratch, but working with it is like working with Plaster of Paris. Perhaps the included instructions tell you how to go about carving meerschaum.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
restever99

Post by restever99 »

Someone bought me one of these kits recently for my upcoming birthday. Feels like ordinary meerschaum to me. The kit doesn't tell you how to carve it, just how to seal it once it's carved. I'm assuming I can go to town on it with plaster/clay tools. I'll let you know when I get around to carving it.
When life hands you lemons, light your pipe and contimplate what to do with those lemons.
m.c.

Post by m.c. »

Thanks. If they also smoke like "ordinary" meer, that will be pretty good at this price.
restever99

Post by restever99 »

To be honest, I've never smoked a meerschaum so I wouldn't know what they smoke like. I'm assuming it's similar to a clay.
When life hands you lemons, light your pipe and contimplate what to do with those lemons.