lataka bomb & related questions for the novice...

What good is a pipe without tobacco? Discuss your favorites in here.
dogwood

lataka bomb & related questions for the novice...

Post by dogwood »

new pipe smoker here... i got a blend that is aparently heavy on the lataka. it smelled smokey and nice but after smoking i got a little sick. not because of the nicotine but because it tasted like pine.

i don't know how you lataka guys do it. i found out the hard way. guess i'll stick to virginia blends.

orientals refer to lataka, turkish, etc.?

aromatic is flavored tobacco like cherry, honey, berry, etc.?

still buying from local tobacconist's mystery jars. i have some rattray virginia blend tins on the way. i can't wait until i get them.
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: lataka bomb & related questions for the novice...

Post by TRS »

Which blend did you try that was heavy on the Latakia?
dogwood

Post by dogwood »

store jar brand. leviit and pierce cambridge ma.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ROFL!!! :ROFL:

That's the same reaction a lot of folks have to the stuff. Latakia is, in fact, produced by smoke-curing the tobacco leaves with smoldering pine boughs (among others, including oak and various herbs and spices).

Can't say you weren't warned though. And you might not want to order that tin of Byzantium unless it's being shipped to my house. :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

dogwood wrote: orientals refer to lataka, turkish, etc.?

aromatic is flavored tobacco like cherry, honey, berry, etc.?
I was laughing so hard I forgot to answer the questions. :)

Orientals are typically "condiment" tobaccos, used sparingly and in small amounts. While latakia may be made with an "oriental" tobacco, "orientals" are typically grouped separately. I am not a tobacco expert though, so hopefully someone who has some deep knowledge on the subject will chime in.

Aromatic tobaccos typically have flavoring added like vanilla, cherry, bourbon, etc. Some "aromatics" might not have any added flavoring, such as some blends of cavendish. While "black cavendish" might contain vanilla flavoring, it's not a requirement and some blenders may leave it out. Cavendish tobacco typically is used in aromatics due to the way it's processed, which creates a sweet and mild tobacco.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

What he said.
dogwood

Post by dogwood »

thanks. i passed on the byzantium. no more latakia for me. glad i could supply a laugh.
dogwood

Post by dogwood »

it actually tasted good for the first half of the bowl and then it hit me and was too late!
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Don't give up on the Latakia just yet, you'll end up coming back to it.

If the Latakia blend you got is too strong for you, try mixing it with a heavy portion of Virginia... or

If you keep smoking straight Virginia blends, eventually you'll get pretty bored. Experiment by adding just a little spice to make it more interesting - add a pinch of the Latakia blend you have or get a small tin of straight blending Latakia so you know exactly what percentage of Latakia works for you.

I think you'll find over time that you will keep increasing your Latakia pinch doses until just the mention of Penzance or Byzantium makes your mouth water (mine is now).
dogwood

Post by dogwood »

i have some natural cav. i'll add a pinch to that when i'm feeling brave. that balkan blend smells like a bbq smoke pit!

i only have one cheapo pipe right now. i think i should have one devoted to latakia and one for my virginias.

oh well i'll have to smoke more to get the pine taste out! tough job but someone has to do it!!