staining cherrywood

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
bscofield

staining cherrywood

Post by bscofield »

Alright... I asked a while ago why nobody stained cherry and if I recall the best answer was that it looked really good without any stain. While I agree that the grain by itself does look good, I had to go and try to stain it. :(

Bad idea.

It just looks bad stained. The stain applies real dense and the grain doesn't really show through it. All in all, I'm really unimpressed.

I'll tell you something else while we're on the topic... I'm tired of dealing with cherry wood. The stuff is so hard to sand and it's just plain difficult to deal with. Is this everyone's experience or did I end up with a block that's not fully dry?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Cherry is *extremely* hard wood. It's also not as dense as briar, and that odd juxtoposition of porosity and hardness make it a very tough wood to deal with. Sanding it is a royal PITA.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RocheleauPipes

Post by RocheleauPipes »

Bscofield Wrote:

<It just looks bad stained. The stain applies real dense and the grain doesn't really show through it. All in all, I'm really unimpressed. >

While I haven't carved Cherry yet--but plan to--I understand it is similar to many woods that when stained turn blotchy and lose the effect of the grain. In those cases, there are only two options, of which only one is acceptable to pipe making. One is to use a preconditioner. In woodworking where the final finish will be a varnish, French polish, or such, you use a well thinned shellac over the whole piece to partial seal the super absorbant patches, then the grain stains fairly well. Can't use that for pipes.The second option is to test the block prior to carving for the likelihood of blotchy absorbtion. You might try sanding the outer surface of the blocks and wiping them with alcohol to see if you can spot the blotchiness. If you can, then you can't stain that block. There may be some that do not exhibit that effect. You can try your stain on a slice of that block prior to staining the finished pipe.

If you've ever tried to stain pine or hemlock without presealing partially, you get the same problem. Some woods just don't cooperate :(

It does take some time to shape and sand super-hard woods. I have sculpted in iron wood, and believe me, it is aptly named. I must say though, that I feel there is some magic in that, at least for me. I love the touch of hard wood. The hand can tell how hard it is by the slightest touch. It's a very strange feeling. Working with other woods does give one a keen appreciation of brair though doesn't it? If it weren't for that odd sandpit cropping up at inappropriate times that is.

John
pipemaker

Post by pipemaker »

With cherrywood you really only have two finishing options. Leave it natural, or stain it in a dark enough color to obscure the grain.

I always felt cherrywood was a relatively easy wood to work, although sanding across the grain takes a little more effort.

I usually carve these pipes with the grain running in a vertical direction, for just this reason, but have noticed after smoking many cherrywood pipes, that the vertical grained pieces do smoke better.

Any explainations for this?

Mike
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

all the blocks I've used so far have all had curved grain... literaly in a U shape...