morta

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
Bear

morta

Post by Bear »

where is there a good place to buy morta wood? been loving some of the pipes i've seen in the gallery and wanted to give it a try myself.
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: morta

Post by TRS »

Bear wrote:where is there a good place to buy morta wood? been loving some of the pipes i've seen in the gallery and wanted to give it a try myself.
The only place I've ever seen it for sale is occasionally on eBay. Most of the time it's a seller from the UK, so it ends up being really expensive because the auction ends high and the shipping is huge...
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Just do like I did. Start a bog in the back yard, throw some oak in there, and check back in 40,000 years. Costs hardly anything that way.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Sasquatch wrote:Just do like I did. Start a bog in the back yard, throw some oak in there, and check back in 40,000 years. Costs hardly anything that way.
I really appreciate your "long term" approach to pipemaking, and the fact that it's contingent on advancements in cryogenics makes it even bolder. :D

TJ
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Sasquatch, you're very forward thinking! Only problem is, in 40,000 years smoking will have been completely illegal for a long long time so you will have to make morta statues instead of pipes. :)

On topic, isn't morta pretty pricey even without shipping costs?
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

SimeonTurner wrote:Only problem is, in 40,000 years smoking will have been completely illegal for a long long time
I dunno, I figure the giant insects by that time might have developed a taste for fine briars and terbacky.....
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Sasquatch wrote:Just do like I did. Start a bog in the back yard, throw some oak in there, and check back in 40,000 years. Costs hardly anything that way.
I'm pretty sure you're using the wrong kind of oak.

Jack
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

you have a PM

or least you should do, it shows up in my outbox??
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

JHowell wrote:
I'm pretty sure you're using the wrong kind of oak.

Jack

We'll see who's laughing at who when you're begging to buy some from me in 42009.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Dotter

Post by Dotter »

You don't have to wait 40.000years, morta that I have is "only" 8250 years old (I have certificate for those pieces that are around 6000years old). Croatia is full of it. Bosnia and Herzegovina also. So if you are for some digging, you know where to look for :D
Dotter, Croatia
bikedoctor
Site Supporter

Post by bikedoctor »

Domba wrote:You don't have to wait 40.000years, morta that I have is "only" 8250 years old (I have certificate for those pieces that are around 6000years old). Croatia is full of it. Bosnia and Herzegovina also. So if you are for some digging, you know where to look for :D
Hey Domba,
I did a tour in ByH with Task Force 141. The Balkins may be the most beautiful place I've seen in fall.
One little problem about digging for morta in Bosnia ... mines. Yeah, they got um. Seem to be indigineous to the area. Bad for your health so I hear. But I don't think Croatia has those issues so much.
Kevin
Dotter

Post by Dotter »

bikedoctor wrote:
Domba wrote:You don't have to wait 40.000years, morta that I have is "only" 8250 years old (I have certificate for those pieces that are around 6000years old). Croatia is full of it. Bosnia and Herzegovina also. So if you are for some digging, you know where to look for :D
Hey Domba,
I did a tour in ByH with Task Force 141. The Balkins may be the most beautiful place I've seen in fall.
One little problem about digging for morta in Bosnia ... mines. Yeah, they got um. Seem to be indigineous to the area. Bad for your health so I hear. But I don't think Croatia has those issues so much.
You would be surprised... Unfortunately, big parts of Croatia are mind fields. I've been in one a week ago, check this out http://www.kopacki-rit.hr/ Beautiful place, still mined.
Dotter, Croatia