Drill Press Drilling Suggestion

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Drill Press Drilling Suggestion

Post by SimeonTurner »

Hi all-

I've been devouring everything I can find on the forums for a couple of weeks now since stumbling upon them. Thanks for the amazing information everyone shares! This is a great community!

I know now that drilling on the drill press is one step away from taboo around here, but I thought I would share a couple of insights I have had in my few years of pipe making using a drill press exclusively. If any of these ideas have been posted previously, please forgive me; I have only dug through the first few pages of each topic area.

I started pipe making when I was a teacher and had access to the school's woodshop. Through the advice of the shop teacher there, I developed some decent techniques for drilling on a press and have had great success overall, though some of my initial efforts resulted in all kinds of horrible screw ups...LOL.

The first suggestion I had for anyone drilling on a press is to make sure you are using an adjustable angle vise. The vise I used in the woodshop was salvaged from the old defunct school autoshop, but now that I don't have access to that shop anymore, I went and found a decent vise at woodcraft for 20 bucks or so. Being able to adjust the angle of the drilling without actually re-clamping the block is really helpful.

The second suggestion I had is the most helpful one I have when it comes to drilling on a press. The hardest thing about drilling on a press is being able to see into the tobacco chamber to make sure you have not drilled too deep (I always drill the mortise/draft holes first, and then the tobacco chamber). The angles make it hard to see in there, even with a flashlight or fancy press light. I destroyed 3 or 4 good blocks of briar by over drilling the tobacco chamber. That's when the shop teacher shared some great wisdom with me.

He suggested that as the drilling of the tobacco chamber gets close to the correct measured depth, the best way to know when it had actually intersected with the draft hole was to blow compressed air into the draft hole while still drilling downward in the tobacco chamber. It's impossible to miss when the two holes intersect; a billow of sawdust will fly out of the tobacco chamber to let you know it's safe to stop!

In another thread I saw it suggested that you insert a wire hanger into the draft hole to acheive the same result. I think that could work as well, but I hate the idea of tearing up my bits or dealing with any shredded hanger metal in the draft hole of my pipes.

I hope this is helpful for any other folks who are drilling with a drill press rather than a lathe!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Drill Press Drilling Suggestion

Post by KurtHuhn »

SimeonTurner wrote:I know now that drilling on the drill press is one step away from taboo around here,
Not at all! I drill all the pipe kits I make on the drill press since I don't have to lathe shape any part of them. And most freehands as well.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

A number of us started with a drill press. I found a small mirror handy for checking the inside of the chamber. There's still a little ways to go once the two holes intersect; sometimes you have to nibble and check to get it just right. The quill feed lever is a pretty sensitive control. You can usually feel the change in resistance when you break through the airhole, and the increase in resistance again when you hit the bottom.
Frank

Post by Frank »

SimeonTurner wrote:In another thread I saw it suggested that you insert a wire hanger into the draft hole to acheive the same result. I think that could work as well, but I hate the idea of tearing up my bits or dealing with any shredded hanger metal in the draft hole of my pipes.
Use a small diameter dowel rod - when it starts to wiggle, you're almost there, and no damage to your drill bit. I regularly use them for ship modeling. If they're not available at hardware stores, most hobby stores should carry them.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Timberwolf

Great information guys!

Post by Timberwolf »

Being a fledgling crafter with basic tools, my drill press is a work horse.

Extremely helpful thread!

:D
"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan." -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton"
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

KurtHuhn wrote:Not at all! I drill all the pipe kits I make on the drill press since I don't have to lathe shape any part of them. And most freehands as well.
Sorry Kurt! Some of the threads I read made it sound like I was the only person left still drilling my holes on a press instead of on my lathe. It's good to know I'm not alone! :)

Jack, I agree that once you find the draft hole there is still a tiny ways to drill still. That part takes patience and practice to get just right.

If you know that you have actually intersected the draft hole (using any of the methods folks sugested), it makes it a whole lot easier to make that last little nibble and have a perfectly seated draft hole at the base of your tobacco chamber.
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

I use wooden barbecue skewers---cheap---a packet lasts forever and just the right size to fit the 5/32 draft. I insert a skewer though the draft hole and hold it tightly in place with my left hand while controlling the drilling with the right. I can feel the moment when the tobacco chamber drill meets the skewer. At one time I just inserted it and watched for movement when the two made contact but found I often missed the initial contact due to all the other movement going on with the press.

I started with a cheap press from Harbor Freight. When I realized I needed to either buy a good press or else go to a wood lathe, I made the decision to go the better press route because of cost to outfit a lathe and the learning curve necessary to learn to use one. I haven't been sorry. The drill press serves me well.

I then added a Taig metal lathe and a couple sets of plug/pin gages from .061 to .500. With the gages I can do almost anything with the Taig that can be down with a wood lathe, I just do it slower.

bob gilbert
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I, too, still use a drill press and I use the compressed air method you describe. At least until I equip and learn to use my newly acquired lathe. It's helpful to learn the feel and sound each diameter airway makes when you hit the right depth as the compressed air blows through. I drill to depth by sound and then fine tune with a dental style mirror like Jack mentioned. It's also necessary to have a rubber nozzle on your compressor attachment to get a good seal and prevent damaging your shank end.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I used to check the airway by using a mirror and a keychain LED light.
MikeStanley

Post by MikeStanley »

I've always used a pipe cleaner inserted through the draft hole.
Mike Stanley
daniel

Post by daniel »

i too use a drill press to drill my pipes,
though i have drilled few, with a hand drill attached to jaws and set for constant (?) drilling,
and then holding the block in hands and pushing it towards the drill... actually there was a short time, i found this way even easien than using drillpress. im going to get myself a mirror, sounds too easy, as it is impossible to see in the stummel while it´s still on the jaws.
i used to stick a rubber tube in the mortise and blow when i thought that the drillings will meet...