Stem Slotting Tools -- New video blog entry

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
jeff

Stem Slotting Tools -- New video blog entry

Post by jeff »

Hey folks,

I just posted a new video discussing some of the tools that I use in stem making. The tools I talk about are specifically for use in cutting and finishing the slot in a stem. You can all see the video here.

Thanks for looking,

Jeff
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Thanks Jeff!
Nick

Re: Stem Slotting Tools -- New video blog entry

Post by Nick »

awsome bud!
daniel

Post by daniel »

i´m sorry to say this.
i don´t think i saw any of the tools you use as they were so far away from the cam.
i thought that it was the point, maybe you could add a photo of those tools tou use?
oh, by the way, are you, or have you been interested in lock picking?
i think ive seen the sawblade tool too often.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Hey Daniel,

The point of this video, as I wrote in its description--though didn't clarify in the audio--was as a basic introduction. I didn't show photos of the individual files for several reasons. Primarily, I forgot until after filming and editing. :) Secondarily, the video, as a basic introduction was intended to give an idea of what I'm doing and what I use to accomplish the goal. Each person will and should find ways to overcome problems in the shop. Several of the tools I used were shown to me by other pipemakers, several I made on my own to accomplish objectives that I set for myself. Basically, I tell you what I am accomplishing with a tool you can't see clearly. You know I have a tool to do it. Now, if you want to accomplish the same end, how do you make a tool to do it? :filth-n-foul:

The videos are not meant to teach you how to make pipes. Most of the viewers have no desire to do so. They are intended to give a broad and blurry idea of how I get things done in my shop. If you're interested in video lessons, I believe another pipemaker will be producing and distributing such videos in the near future. For the average collector, what I am doing is fine. For someone interested in the details of pipemaking, this is not. But again, I'm not producing the films specifically for the pipeMAKING community. I just thought you all might want to see it and may be inspired by something that I describe to tackle the same problem. :)

Best,

Jeff
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

jeff wrote:Hey Daniel,

The point of this video, as I wrote in its description--though didn't clarify in the audio--was as a basic introduction. I didn't show photos of the individual files for several reasons. Primarily, I forgot until after filming and editing. :) Secondarily, the video, as a basic introduction was intended to give an idea of what I'm doing and what I use to accomplish the goal. Each person will and should find ways to overcome problems in the shop. Several of the tools I used were shown to me by other pipemakers, several I made on my own to accomplish objectives that I set for myself. Basically, I tell you what I am accomplishing with a tool you can't see clearly. You know I have a tool to do it. Now, if you want to accomplish the same end, how do you make a tool to do it? :filth-n-foul:

The videos are not meant to teach you how to make pipes. Most of the viewers have no desire to do so. They are intended to give a broad and blurry idea of how I get things done in my shop. If you're interested in video lessons, I believe another pipemaker will be producing and distributing such videos in the near future. For the average collector, what I am doing is fine. For someone interested in the details of pipemaking, this is not. But again, I'm not producing the films specifically for the pipeMAKING community. I just thought you all might want to see it and may be inspired by something that I describe to tackle the same problem. :)

Best,

Jeff
Asshole. :P

Rad
Frank

Post by Frank »

daniel wrote:i don´t think i saw any of the tools you use as they were so far away from the cam.
I clearly saw all the tools he showed. Did you click on the "full screen" wossname, or were you viewing it in the little 4"x3" pane?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Nick

Post by Nick »

RadDavis wrote:
jeff wrote:Hey Daniel,

Best,

Jeff
Asshole. :P

Rad

LOL! You're a nut Rad!
FredS

Post by FredS »

Nice work Jeff. Thanks for taking the time to film, edit & post it.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
Nick

Post by Nick »

You know, that J. Alan guy is really a handsome young fella. If it weren't for that peach fuzz on his chin, he could be on TV. But really, I'm not sure if he's old enough yet. Perhaps he could get a work permit from his folks?

(hehehe)
Leus

Post by Leus »

J. Alan is almost as handsome as that Rad Davis guy.
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Thanks Jeff. I love the modified saw blade idea.
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

http://www.houserhandmadepipes.com/
daniel

Post by daniel »

uuh... you know, ive learned not to ask spesific questions about other peoples methods.
you probably took me wrong, as i took the video wrong, well,
i was wieving the small video, so no wonder i didn´t see them.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Try a jigsaw scroll blade in a wooden handle. Grind down the non-cutting edge, tapering to make a point. I think Trever revealed that secret to me in an old post about cutting the V-slot... I wanted to buy a keyway broach.
jeff

Post by jeff »

daniel wrote:uuh... you know, ive learned not to ask spesific questions about other peoples methods.
you probably took me wrong, as i took the video wrong, well,
i was wieving the small video, so no wonder i didn´t see them.
You've hopefully not come to such a conclusion from this thread. I'm happy to answer questions and share much of everything I know about pipemaking. Since you asked the question, I thought I'd give a 'thorough' answer. :)