question about unstiched buffing wheels

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
daniel

question about unstiched buffing wheels

Post by daniel »

pretty simple question,
it´s brobably normal that when i add buffing compound on the wheel it
starts to unravell and all these pieces of cord are flying through the air,
and the wheel it self transforms into a small whipping machine...i doubt not?
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

That happens with a new wheel. Before you ut any compound on the wheel get and old saw blade, clean it well then uses it on the wheel it will rip out all the loose bits in one go and then you can vaccum it all up. Better to make one big mess than a bit of mess everytime you use it.
daniel

Post by daniel »

ah, thank you!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Yep, you just have to "dress" the wheel. This is an even more laborious process with a stitched wheel. If you ever get one and it seems to be out of round forever, you've just not dressed it aggressively enough. A worn out disc of 36 grit from the grinding wheel works well for the final dressing.

TJ
Frank

Post by Frank »

"Raking" an unstitched wheel can sometimes do more harm than good.

If it's a new wheel, run it on the buffer for a few seconds, then take a sharp pair of scissors and trim off the threads and uneven bits.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Frank wrote:"Raking" an unstitched wheel can sometimes do more harm than good.

If it's a new wheel, run it on the buffer for a few seconds, then take a sharp pair of scissors and trim off the threads and uneven bits.
I've never seen a wheel--stitched or unstitched--that was concentric enough to the arbor that it did not require dressing. I'd love it if they were available though.

TJ
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

ToddJohnson wrote:
Frank wrote:"Raking" an unstitched wheel can sometimes do more harm than good.

I've never seen a wheel--stitched or unstitched--that was concentric enough to the arbor that it did not require dressing.
TJ
Whew, I thought it was just my bad luck!

And once you got that puppy trued up on the arbor, don't remove it!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Huh, I'm just lucky or too dumb to have problems. My unstitched wheels have all been just about perfect, and when I mounted my stitched one, it stunk, so I took it off the arbor and tried again, and got it just about perfect.

I'm using little ones though - 6" units. Maybe the 8s and 9s show up more wobble....
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Naw, it takes a little fiddling, but it can be done. For me tt's worth the time spent getting it centered on the arbor to skip having to clean up the mess from dressing.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
xmhr

Post by xmhr »

I have the same problem. After some compound applications I have less dust in the air but it still disturb me.
About saw - should it be metal or wood saw?
Early to rise, early to bed - makes a man healthy, wealthy and dead. (The Light Fantastic)
Under construction but here it is: http://www.handmade-pipes.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

xmhr wrote:I have the same problem. After some compound applications I have less dust in the air but it still disturb me.
About saw - should it be metal or wood saw?
Doesnt really matter. I use old coarse hacksaw blades. Just make sure there is no compound on the wheel otherwise it will go black!