How to drill?

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
tritrek

How to drill?

Post by tritrek »

Hello All,
I'm making some plans on future possible pipes and I'm wondering how would you drill this shape?
I made a suggestion but that seems pretty wild to me...
Thanks a lot!!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Use a larger shorter mortise and go slightly deeper with the tobacco chamber. Nice Chonowitsch by the way :D

TJ
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

ToddJohnson wrote:Use a larger shorter mortise and go slightly deeper with the tobacco chamber. Nice Chonowitsch by the way :D
TJ
Benny Jorgensen BTW :D
I was just trying to start from a given form and suddenly I realized I have no clue how to drill this shape...

Thanks for the answer!
ConfuciusConfusion

Post by ConfuciusConfusion »

I've seen lotso pipes like with either shank cap or

2nd mortise

or drill-plug-drill.
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Hm... that makes sense! Thanks!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

ConfuciusConfusion wrote:I've seen lotso pipes like with either shank cap or

2nd mortise

or drill-plug-drill.
These sorts of pieces don't actually have "plugs." The mortise is drilled, then the draft hole, and then a sleeve is cut into the shank face with a "hole saw." Then a piece of brass or silver is cut, inserted, and glued into place. This is done on pipes with military bits to protect the shank from cracking.

There are carvers who use what we call a "false mortise" to increase the angle at which the draft hole can be drilled, and then the mortise is sleeved in briar and the face stained black. This allows the draft hole to enter the mortise floor closer to the center rather than extremely high.

TJ
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Could you please explain how we make a false mortise? Thanks
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

tritrek wrote:Could you please explain how we make a false mortise? Thanks
Just drill a big hole for the mortise--like 3/8"--and then drill your draft hole. Once the draft hole is drilled just turn down a briar "plug" to 3/8" OD and say 5/16" ID. Insert the "plug" into the 3/8" mortise and glue it into place. Then face the shank and stain the whole thing black. The only real problem with this is that, in the event that you need to drill out the draft hole years down the road, you won't be able to. A bristled pipecleaner and some alcohol will basically do the same thing, but some guys insist on being able to re-drill a pipe. I don't do false mortises, but am completely agnostic about the process.

Todd
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

ToddJohnson wrote:
Just drill a big hole for the mortise--like 3/8"--and then drill your draft hole. Once the draft hole is drilled just turn down a briar "plug" to 3/8" OD and say 5/16" ID. Insert the "plug" into the 3/8" mortise and glue it into place. Then face the shank and stain the whole thing black. The only real problem with this is that, in the event that you need to drill out the draft hole years down the road, you won't be able to. A bristled pipecleaner and some alcohol will basically do the same thing, but some guys insist on being able to re-drill a pipe. I don't do false mortises, but am completely agnostic about the process.

Todd
Thanks for explaining... looks quite time consuming and difficult...
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

tritrek wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:

Todd
Thanks for explaining... looks quite time consuming and difficult...
Not really. You're basically just making a sleeve and gluing it in place. Don't be intimidated by it at all.

TJ
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

One more point to buy a lathe ;)