Another carved Spirals pipe, with exta something!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Ladyblacksword

Another carved Spirals pipe, with exta something!

Post by Ladyblacksword »

This one is #3, Pathways Of Fire.

Feel free to offer crits, but remember that this one is a commission and the guy is happy with it. I'll be shipping in a couple days.

I did a little work on the stem on this one, and the stone is black jasper. The wood had a soft spot, so I set the stone to hide where it had been. That spot is one that doesn't get hot on the pipe I have of the same shape.

Dark areas are woodburned, not stained.

Let me know what you think,
LJ

flix

Post by flix »

reminds me of maori decorations. Nice job!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Makes me think of soup. Oh wait, that's probably the beans!

I like that one. Pear again?

What is it sitting on in the first pix?
Ladyblacksword

Post by Ladyblacksword »

Sasquatch wrote:Makes me think of soup. Oh wait, that's probably the beans!

I like that one. Pear again?

What is it sitting on in the first pix?
Yep, pear again. The guy wanted one like #1 and I got lucky and found another just like it.

It's sitting on a piece of burl my mother-in-law brought me back from a trip to the Pacific NW. I don't have a clue what kind of burl it is, but it works so well as a backdrop what I'm unlikely to go slicing it up any time soon.

The beans make me think of soup sometimes too, but making the customer hungry is a time-tested advertising technique. Makes them want your stuff along with the food, supposedly.

Thanks for taking a look.
LJ
Ladyblacksword

Post by Ladyblacksword »

flix wrote:reminds me of maori decorations. Nice job!
Thanks!
The spirals are roughly based on both Maori and ancient Celtic designs. (The spirals at Newgrange, for example.) I do them a little different than I've ever seen in native art, but I feel that there is a definite connection.

LJ
Marbella

Re:

Post by Marbella »

I second the good words and the the work on the spirals is inspiring with the wood burning shades giving an aura to the pipe . :idea: :rockon:
Ladyblacksword

Re: Re:

Post by Ladyblacksword »

Marbella wrote:
I second the good words and the the work on the spirals is inspiring with the wood burning shades giving an aura to the pipe . :idea: :rockon:
Thanks Marbella!
I'm going to try woodburning some more on future pipes, as I think it turned out pretty cool here.
LJ