First Pipe- something a bit different

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Ladyblacksword

First Pipe- something a bit different

Post by Ladyblacksword »

Before you look at the photos, bear this in mind:
I didn't cut the shape, the stem, etc. I bought a cute but very plain little pearwood pipe, at very low $$ from a tobacco shop. It had a really strangely colored golden stain/finish when I got it, so the color you see here was a surprise for me when I sanded it down.
I would eventually like to start a pipe from scratch, but my current job is as a multi-talented artisan, with a strong focus in jewelry, carving and metalwork. So I decided to do a bit of carved modification for my first one.

I've not only carved on it, I also put in the little sterling silver spacer, which has the signature, number (#1) and the pipe's name (Spiral Dreams) engraved on it.

It's a little less "red" than in the pics. The camera/lighting skewed it just a little bit.

I'm not looking for the "purist" variety of critique. I'm well aware that this is neither traditional or perfect, but I would love to hear what you guys think of it.

(Btw, it's not for sale. I'm keeping this one.)

Thanks for looking,
LJ

PS: Anyone know what the grey/black painted in bowl coating is made of that some commercially made pipes come with? You can see a little of it in the photos.

staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

I think the carving is really beautiful and excellently done. You could improve the look a great deal with a couple hours hand work on the stem with sandpaper.

bob
Ladyblacksword

Post by Ladyblacksword »

staffwalker wrote:I think the carving is really beautiful and excellently done. You could improve the look a great deal with a couple hours hand work on the stem with sandpaper.

bob
I've been a bit scared to touch it.
The stem is as I bought it right now, no changes.
I do like the shape of the stem, and it smokes very well, so that's part of why I've left it alone. I do think the finish on the stem could be finer.

LJ
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Very nice carving! Kind of 'fey'...
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

Wow! Fantastic carving, How was that done?
Ladyblacksword

Post by Ladyblacksword »

Tsunami wrote:Wow! Fantastic carving, How was that done?
I use a Foredom flexshaft with tiny little steel dental burrs, 3M flexible sanding pads in 6 different grits, natural beeswax and a muslin buff on a 3" wheel.

If you like, you can look at more of my carving work at: www.dreamingdragondesign.deviantart.com

LJ
Ladyblacksword

Post by Ladyblacksword »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:Very nice carving! Kind of 'fey'...
Thanks!
The spirals are loosely inspired by the spirals on the kerbstones at Newgrange, so it's no surprise that it looks a little "fey".

LJ
Frank

Post by Frank »

Considering the number of spirals you managed to get on the pipe, they all look very neat - you must have a helluva steady hand. Nicely done.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Ladyblacksword

Post by Ladyblacksword »

Frank wrote:Considering the number of spirals you managed to get on the pipe, they all look very neat - you must have a helluva steady hand. Nicely done.
I do, but I also have a nice flexshaft with very little vibration and good sharp burrs. I can't recommend a better machine than a Foredom. I used to carve with a Dremel, but I'm glad I upgraded, as the motor action of the Foredom is much smoother. Working with TINY burrs takes good equipment and a steady hand. For the record, I don't carve when tired or in a bad mood.

I think I may post a knife I did up in the other gallery here, as it's got even smaller spirals on part of it.

LJ
Dotter

Post by Dotter »

Wow!! This is wonderful, really!!
Great looking pipe!
Dotter, Croatia
staffwalker
Site Supporter

Post by staffwalker »

You do incredible work. Do you recommend a place to get the dental burrs? I also use a Foredom.

bob
Ladyblacksword

Post by Ladyblacksword »

Domba wrote:Wow!! This is wonderful, really!!
Great looking pipe!
Thank you! I really appreciate that!
LJ
Ladyblacksword

Post by Ladyblacksword »

staffwalker wrote:You do incredible work. Do you recommend a place to get the dental burrs? I also use a Foredom.

bob
Thank you. The complements are very encouraging.

I get my burrs from Rio Grande jewelers supply. They don't have a minimum order any more, and their customer service is great.

If you like, I can go find the 2 sets I buy for you - one is round and the other is inverted cone. If you need a link, let me know.

LJ
Charl

Post by Charl »

Lovely!
Ladyblacksword

Post by Ladyblacksword »

Charl wrote:Lovely!
Thanks!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Very cool! Love it!
Wayne Teipen