New Tobacco Regulations...

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
NateTheBookie

New Tobacco Regulations...

Post by NateTheBookie »

This was in the news this morning, does anyone know more about this legislation, Do you think it will affect us pipe smokers? :(

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090612/D98OQ0CG0.html
NateTheBookie

Post by NateTheBookie »

Found the full text of the bill online, here's a PDF, haven't had a chance to read through it yet.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin ... as.txt.pdf
FredS

Post by FredS »

You been living in a cave Nate? Under the new administration there have already been a couple pieces of major tobacco legislation passed that drastically raised taxes on many forms of tobacco. Another law (passed by the House, not yet the Senate) is going to limit internet tobacco sales and allow state & local sales taxes to be charged. Go to any of the US-centric pipe smokers forums to read more.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

And add the new restrictions they're imposing on knives, and the "interesting" way they're classifying them.

The era of the nanny state has truly begun.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

KurtHuhn wrote:And add the new restrictions they're imposing on knives, and the "interesting" way they're classifying them.

The era of the nanny state has truly begun.
I think it began about 45 years ago, when the government started requiring seatbelts in all new cars.

Hell, it used to be that if the police caught you underage and drunk, they would either call your parents or tell you to get straight home. Now you have to pay a huge fine and go to alcohol school.

I got caught once with 2 other guys taking a leak against the wall of a building near downtown Chattanooga. A city police cruiser pulled up, and we heard, "Yer pissin' in a public place, son!"

They checked our IDs, asked us where we got served and told us to get back in our car and go straight home.

That was before zero tolerance. :)

Them were the good old days.

Rad
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

The state knows best!

Its funny how the word tolerance is thrown around. But when it come to tobacco smokers, tolerance isn't very tolerant!
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

http://www.houserhandmadepipes.com/
Frank

Post by Frank »

Briarfox wrote:The state knows best!

Its funny how the word tolerance is thrown around. But when it come to tobacco smokers, tolerance isn't very tolerant!
Nothing to do with tolerance. We happen to be a minority they can tax to the hilt and get away with it. We should declare ourselves a Religion of Tobacco - then we can play the religious card against them!
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Frank wrote:
Briarfox wrote:The state knows best!

Nothing to do with tolerance. We happen to be a minority they can tax to the hilt and get away with it. We should declare ourselves a Religion of Tobacco - then we can play the religious card against them!
There is defiantly tobacco intolerance. Irvine CA is looking to ban the use in all public places. It's just going to be more and more laws until it's a controlled substance and we all become criminals!
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

http://www.houserhandmadepipes.com/
Danskpibemager

Post by Danskpibemager »

If the use of tobacco and tobacco related paraphenalia in the future is considered criminal I guess I will be receiving multiple life sentences. I just hope I can get a job in the woodworking shop and make pipes! :lol:

Kevin