Introduction

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
mikea

Introduction

Post by mikea »

Thought I'd just introduce myself as someone who has some power tools smokes a pipe and thought I'd try my hand at making one. Just got the book and an abauchon from Pimo and will have a go. Seems pretty complicated but we'll see shortly. Thanks
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Best of luck, man. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We're all here to help.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
jeff

Post by jeff »

Welcome Mike,

It wasn't long ago that many of us were in your same position. Ask away if you have any questions.

Jeff
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

gone
Last edited by Gatorade on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Welcome Mike! Jump right in. I think you'll find that pipe making is a fun hobby that is not quite as daunting as it seems from the outside.

Tyler
mikea

Thanks

Post by mikea »

thanks for the warm greeting. I'm going to jump in this weekend. I'm going to with a classic shape pipe. I have a Grizzley 14" drillpress and a bandsaw and thought I might use a router bit in the drillpress to make the tobacco hole. thanks all
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Mike,

Welcome! Let me just say you are among a great bunch here. They have taught me a great deal and I am sure they will do the same for you.
Enjoy, it is a great great hobby!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hey Mike! Welcome!

I tried the router bit thing too. What I found was that it wouldn't go deeper than the depth of the bit, i.e. about a half inch. No clue why. Maybe you'll have better luck than me.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Mike,

If you want to give it a shot, grinding down a spade bit to be suitable for pipemaking is not as difficult as it may sound. Give it a shot.

Jeff
mikea

grind down spade bit

Post by mikea »

Jeff - I have just the bit too. I'll do it. I've done a bunch of reading up so we'll see how it goes...once again thanks much
jeff

Post by jeff »

Mike,

The easiest way to do it, in my opinion, is the following. Tim West shared this method with me. So, before you grind away, try taking a business card or some other piece of cardstock, fold it in half and draw half of the shape you want the bit to look like. Then cut it out, unfold it and it will be pretty perfectly symmetrical. Then find the center of the bit and adhere this pattern to the bit with rubber cement, or some other glue. Then grind down to the basic pattern you have adhered to it. Finally, set the angle on your bench grinder to the blade angle you choose and grind one pass on per side at a time, this will help you to keep the sides symmetrical. You make these passes until the cutting edge is sharp. Remove the pattern (if you haven't done so already) and hand sharpen the blade with a whetstone or diamond sharpener or something.

Hope this helps you out.

Jeff