a different shape for me...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bscofield

a different shape for me...

Post by bscofield »

I know the shape is nothing intriquit, but it is one that I've never tried before. I'm a bit conflicted about the shank side of the bowl... I would have like to seen the bowl angled in a bit more on that side but had trouble with the bowl/shank junction in my mind- not really being able to think of an elegant way to intersect the two. Because it seemed like an unfixable move I decided to hold off for now and will attempt it when I'm not spending my weekends with one pipe show in mind.

Critiques please!

ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Ben,

Not a bad shape at all, but it seems as though it can't decide whether or not it wants to be canted.

Todd
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

ToddJohnson wrote:Ben,

Not a bad shape at all, but it seems as though it can't decide whether or not it wants to be canted.

Todd
I think that's the impression given by that side of the bowl (at least that's what I think)... in a 3-d world I think it looks very canted (for a rhodesian), which is what I was going for. but in a side profile....

Do you think that angle that I'm referencing causes this?
Last edited by bscofield on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The only thing that sticks out to my eye on that pipe is the shank/stem junction. The pipes in my collection all have a small ring at least of smooth material before either the sandblast or rusticated surface begins. This allows a nicer looking transition, with no sharp edge to the stem showing.

I like the finish on that pipe though...
jeff

Post by jeff »

Nice pipe, Ben.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I edited the above post, after Todd's comment, but wanted to post it down here to make sure it was seen:

Todd (or anyone else) do you think that if the wall of the bowl on the shank-side was angled further in towards the bottom that it would change the impression of the 'not canted/not straight' appearance?
ckr

Post by ckr »

Nice pipe Ben and I think "yes", you are right.

Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

ckr wrote:Nice pipe Ben and I think "yes", you are right.
I gotta agree. Note that I LOVE this pipe, but there does need to be more of an indentation at the shank/bowl junction to get the lines to that "damn, that's so pretty I could cry" stage. :wink:

Great blast, too!
android

Post by android »

really nice pipe. interesting rustication, is that sandblasted?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

android wrote:really nice pipe. interesting rustication, is that sandblasted?
No, it's not sandblasted. Its just a very shallow rustication.
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

I'm by no means a pipe fundi (yet :) ) but IMO you lost most of the definition at the bowl/shank junction because of the rustication. It might look more "right" if that is better defined.
On the other hand it might also look better with a more acute angle at the bowl/shank connection. I think the angle of the rim in relation to the shank is enough to give an impression that it is canted.

I also think that if what I said is not making any sense to anybody I might be looking like a fool. :doh:
xmhr

Post by xmhr »

Shape looks good for me but it seems it's too "hairy".
Early to rise, early to bed - makes a man healthy, wealthy and dead. (The Light Fantastic)
Under construction but here it is: http://www.handmade-pipes.com