3rd and 4th

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Zeeborn

3rd and 4th

Post by Zeeborn »

Hi everyone, it's been a while sense I last posted, I have been real busy with school but I have made a cupel new pipes anyway. I got the briar and stems from PIMO and went to town. I used the method described in the "jet black wood" post to enhance the contrast of the grain. Then I used a buffing wheel with tin oxide and a separate buffing wheel with carnauba wax for the finish. I like this finish much better than the oil finish I did on my first two. Any way I just wanted to show you guys what I have been up to. Pleas critique my work let me know what aspects are good and what needs improvement.
Cheers,
Nate

Image (alt+p)
AaronWhitehouse0077

Post by AaronWhitehouse0077 »

Hey Nate,

I really like the top pipe, it has a very artistic look to it. A non-conformity as you may. To me that is what pipe making is about. Being an artist I guess I look for uniqueness. The lines all flow smoothly, and the grain is Tre Magnifique.

~Aaron
Zeeborn

Post by Zeeborn »

AaronWhitehouse0077 wrote:Hey Nate,

I really like the top pipe, it has a very artistic look to it. A non-conformity as you may. To me that is what pipe making is about. Being an artist I guess I look for uniqueness. The lines all flow smoothly, and the grain is Tre Magnifique.

~Aaron
Thanks Aaron. I am actually going to school for my BFA in sculpture so I think that's why I'm more attracted to unique forms. I really like making things that have a specific purpose but can take on many different forms and still fulfill the same function.
AaronWhitehouse0077

Post by AaronWhitehouse0077 »

Sculpture sounds fun, I've always prefered oil paints and a canvas over the three dimensional medium, and have just switched to the later due to both an enjoyable past time and a hobby. Good luck with school.

~Aaron
Zeeborn

Post by Zeeborn »

Dose anyone have any suggestions on what I could improve on with my pipes? I really want to do the best I can and your input is very appreciated and valuable. Even if you don't care for them tell me why. If you want to se a picture from an angel I don't have, I’d be happy to take it and post it. Bring on the critique, I can take it. :wink:
Thanks,
Nate D.
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Very nice finish on the first one. It's hard to make a critique because all the photos are from oblique angles and the side views don't show the full length of the pipe. I don't like the bulge toward the front of the shank and I think that style of stem would be more appropriate for a bent pipe. The second one would be a little better if the edges around the top were a little sharper. I think a diamond stem looks best when it has a continuos taper from shank to button, from both the top and lateral view. Also, if the bottom line of the pipe were straight instead of falling as the shank runs into the bowl. I do like how you've kept the lines on the stem and shank sharp. I hope that you don't take offense to my remarks, just tryin to be helpful. Nice pipes.
Zeeborn

Post by Zeeborn »

pennsyscot wrote:Very nice finish on the first one. It's hard to make a critique because all the photos are from oblique angles and the side views don't show the full length of the pipe. I don't like the bulge toward the front of the shank and I think that style of stem would be more appropriate for a bent pipe. The second one would be a little better if the edges around the top were a little sharper. I think a diamond stem looks best when it has a continuos taper from shank to button, from both the top and lateral view. Also, if the bottom line of the pipe were straight instead of falling as the shank runs into the bowl. I do like how you've kept the lines on the stem and shank sharp. I hope that you don't take offense to my remarks, just tryin to be helpful. Nice pipes.

Thanks for the response. Sorry about the first set of pictures, here are a new set. Can you explain why that type of stem would look better on a bent pipe, or is that just a personal preference? when you say “The second one would be a little better if the edges around the top were a little sharper.” are you talking about the rim of the bowl? Also I don’t understand what you mean when you say “Also, if the bottom line of the pipe were straight instead of falling as the shank runs into the bowl.”
Thanks for taking the time to comment.
-Nate

pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

The remark about the stem type is just an expression of my personal preference. I prefer that type of stem on pipes with bent or flared shanks, like these.
I think the shank bowl juncture is a little off. The back bottom curve of the bowl dosen't match the front.

When I said "around the top," I meant the rim. I don't like the contrast between the soft radiused edges of the bowl and the sharp edges and perfect geometry of the stem and shank.

The comment I made about the bottom line of the pipe was not well phrased. I think the thing that throws off the bottom of the pipes profile is that the apex (don't know if that's the best word) is a little low and behind the center of the bowl.

These are all subjective judgements. There is no right way, and if there is, I'm not the guy to ask. I'm just expressing my humble opinion. Both pipes are nicely done.