Another new billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Ryan wrote:Something about about that savinelli and stanwell looks "off"...
Ya know something funny? The Stanwell 190 is an "Eltang Design". :D

That's not why I like it though. What I love about it is the proportions and overall feel of the pipe. It's one of my favorites. Unfortunately, the only thing that it really agrees with is Irish Cream from Altadis and Just For Him (now gone forever), and I just don't smoke that stuff too often - only when company is over. Maybe I should try one of the other aromatics from JFH....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Ryan wrote:Something about about that savinelli and stanwell looks "off"...
The shank is bulbous in it's taper and, at least in the pic, the shank does not come off the bottom of the bowl at the same angle (but that could be because the pipe is slightly tilted toward the camera...)

That pipe does have my favorite bowl style for a billiard.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Well...I taperd the shank and bowl a bit more, and got rid of a few other things that you guys noticed. So here we go, Round two...

Ryan
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

That's starting to look like a billiard!

I would suggest is that the stem could lose a little more meat toward the shank end giving it an even more gradual taper. You want it to look like a wedge in profile.

The shank also still has a bit of waviness, but overall the pipe's looking much better, especially the shaping on the bowl.

Disregard my previous comment on the shank's length. I didn't realize you were re-working the same billiard.

Rad
Last edited by RadDavis on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anvil

Post by Anvil »

So if the stem is supposed to be parallel on the bottom to the bottom of the shank, does that mean that the tennon is not perpendicular to the smoke hole through the stem? Is there a slight 'hitch' in the smoke hole as it passes from the stem to the shank, or does the smoke hole have a slight angle in the shank to match the one in the stem? Does this slight angle (if it exists) cause moisture to run down the stem? Does this preclude using a pre-molded stem since the smoke hole is always drilled in the center (at least all the ones I have seen are this way)? If you are then forced to cut a custom stem, how is the smoke hole planned and drilled 'out of round'?

Just a few questions for those of us trying to learn how to make a 'real' billiard and not a close approximation.
The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the management or of the little green men who have been following me all day.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Anvil wrote:Is there a slight 'hitch' in the smoke hole as it passes from the stem to the shank, or does the smoke hole have a slight angle in the shank to match the one in the stem?
Take a look at the picture I posted on this thread with coloured lines overlaying a Dunhill. It might explain a couple of your questions.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

There are 2 things that caught my eye:

1- the waviness that Rad mentioned.

2- the taper appears to have a part, at about 1/4 of the way towards the button from the shank, where it it increases it's angle. Not that there shouldn't be a taper, obviously, but it seems that the transition from gradual to more severe is rather sudden and sort of "rounded." I would take that rounded part and "stretch" towards the shank and add to the angle of the taper gradually.