what tools have you found yourself collecting?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
MitchG

Post by MitchG »

LOL. Good post! I'm becoming a devotee of good files/rasps. My recommendation - if you can find yourself a pair (#49 coarse/#50 fine) of the hand-made French rasps that Nicholson used to market, snap 'em up! You can rough out a sawn block almost as quickly as with a belt sander, with all the 'control' that comes with a hand operation. They're saweeet! :D
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Ok, here is my limited tool breakdown.

flat rasp, concaved rasp, flat file, concaved file, round rasp, 12 needle files, 7 piece frostner bit set, 29 piece brad point bit set, a small vise, Black and Decker cordless drill, two cut-off wooden dowels with the ends rounded for placing in the tobacco chamber for various uses, a 13/16" spade point bit (not yet ground down for tobacco chamber use), sandpaper from 100 grit to 600 grit, Virgin, walnut, cherry and black stains, my brothers Delta bench top drill press, my brother's 3/4" silver and deming bit, and one cobbler's bench (which acts as my work bench for the moment)
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The only tools I seem to collect are the type that make the Internet go 'round. I've been frobbing bits and bytes for a couple decades, and in that time I've accumulated quite a collection of computers and network gear.

The metal/wood working tools I have are all bought from necessity - but I do seem to have an incrible amount of sandpaper here....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ToddJohnson

Re: what tools have you found yourself collecting?

Post by ToddJohnson »

random wrote:

Has anybody else unthinkingly become a collector of some type of tools?
While sorting through some things and straightening up a bit this weekend I found that I'm a collector of extra long 5/32" drill bits. I seem to have 7 of them now. I doubt even Dr. Grabow has a use for that many draft hole bits.

Todd
abbeypipes

collecting tools

Post by abbeypipes »

I used to be an avid collector of tools until one day I could not find my way to the shed because of them!I have turned this round and I use 3 chisels in turning, an assortment of sandpapers,dremel,2 rasps,and 2 drill bits,the less the better for me now!
regards