Acrylic Cumberland

What to buy a used tool? Looking to sell some extra stems or inlay material? Post your buy, sell, or trade requests and advertisements here.
Danskpibemager

Acrylic Cumberland

Post by Danskpibemager »

Hi guys,
I've got a customer that has requested a four pipe set (various shapes) and would like the stems to be acrylic cumberland. Apparently he saw the stems on a number of pipes online and prefers acrylic to ebonite. Do you guys have any idea where I may be able to obtain acrylic cumberland rod? I've Googled myself silly and checked all the normal suppliers such as Delvies, etc... and have come up empty. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kevin
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

My suggestion would be to get your customer to send you some photos, or links to pipes that use the material. Show it off here, and I'm sure that one of us could help you track it down.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ToddJohnson

Re: Acrylic Cumberland

Post by ToddJohnson »

Danskpibemager wrote:Hi guys,
I've got a customer that has requested a four pipe set (various shapes) and would like the stems to be acrylic cumberland. Apparently he saw the stems on a number of pipes online and prefers acrylic to ebonite. Do you guys have any idea where I may be able to obtain acrylic cumberland rod? I've Googled myself silly and checked all the normal suppliers such as Delvies, etc... and have come up empty. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kevin
It's a common enough material. I expect pipemaker's emporium should have it. If they don't, let me know and I'll go digging around for a stick. I should have a couple of square rods buried in a box somewhere.

Todd
Danskpibemager

Acrylic Cumberland

Post by Danskpibemager »

Todd,
I appreciate your generosity but since I almost exclusively work with acrylic and cast polyester for stems it would be great if I could find a steady and reliable source for what I'm looking for. I've looked for this material in the past and gave up after a couple of weeks of searching so now maybe I can just keep going until I find it. I know that JM Boswell also uses Cumberland acrylic for some of his stems; perhaps a call to him might resolve the search if he is willing to cough up the info. Perhaps if someone has Randy Wiley's email address or knows him personally, that may be another avenue to explore. Thanks again for the assistance!

Kevin
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Give this stuff a look:

http://www.pipemakers.org/New_rods/tg.jpg

They call it Tiger, and they're currently out of stock, but it looks like the stuff on the Wiley pipes.

Rad
ToddJohnson

Re: Acrylic Cumberland

Post by ToddJohnson »

Danskpibemager wrote:Todd,
I appreciate your generosity but since I almost exclusively work with acrylic and cast polyester for stems it would be great if I could find a steady and reliable source for what I'm looking for. I've looked for this material in the past and gave up after a couple of weeks of searching so now maybe I can just keep going until I find it. I know that JM Boswell also uses Cumberland acrylic for some of his stems; perhaps a call to him might resolve the search if he is willing to cough up the info. Perhaps if someone has Randy Wiley's email address or knows him personally, that may be another avenue to explore. Thanks again for the assistance!

Kevin
I don't know anything about Boswell pipes--except that large hairy masked men seem to like them--but I've handled enough Wiley's to know that he does not hand cut stems. He uses blanks. I would suggest calling Andrea at PME and just asking her where you might be able to get it.

Todd
Danskpibemager

Acrylic Cumberland

Post by Danskpibemager »

Thanks Rad and Todd. I did see the "Tiger" at PME and saw that they were out of it. Andrea is great to work with so I will be contacting her to see what kind of info I can get. Thanks again!

Kevin
pipeyeti

Post by pipeyeti »

PME used to have a rod they called black rose. It is as close to cumberland as any acrylic I've seen. I looked on thier site and didn't see it listed anymore. Might try calling them and asking.
sethile

Post by sethile »

I had one client who insisted on Acrylic and I ended up using this stuff from Delvie's Plastic:

It is their 1770 Black Cherry Pearl. It's OK, but I don't think it looks near as good as Vulconite Cumberland, and it's sure not as kind on the teeth!

Here's the link to the page for Delvie's Cast Acrylic

BTW, make sure you don't get extruded Acrylic.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

pipeyeti wrote:PME used to have a rod they called black rose. It is as close to cumberland as any acrylic I've seen. I looked on thier site and didn't see it listed anymore. Might try calling them and asking.
Yep, that's it. I recall the name "black rose." I used to get it from a guy who has now passed away. I forget the name of his company, but it is now gone.

Todd
pipeyeti

Post by pipeyeti »

I just looked at PME and they do have premolded stems in black rose.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Another place you can look is at your favorite specialty woodworking store, such as Woodcraft or Rockler. There is, literally, a mind numbing array of colors and patterns available for the penturning market, most of which are acrylic of one kind or another. Also, haunt the penturning forums to discover sources of penturning plastics and other materials.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

http://www.janzen-pfeifen.de/english/frameset.html

Another source of interesting bar materials.
They call it "cumberland" but looks just like PME's black rose:

Danskpibemager

Acrylic Cumberland

Post by Danskpibemager »

Thanks guys for all the help. I checked all the online pen blank sites as well as Woodcraft and there are a few that come close. I think the best bet is what Kim suggested. The price is not bad at $25.74/1 meter rod plus shipping. I'll contact the customer and see what he wants to do. It's a good thing he's not in a hurry for his pipes.

Regards to All,
Kevin
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

The picture PME uses on their site (square rod) isn't represenative of what it looks like round - the pic also shows the saw edge. When it's round, it looks pretty much the same as the pic above.
Danskpibemager

Post by Danskpibemager »

Kim,
I just went to your website and you have the exact stem on pipe number 209 Bent Brandy. Would that be the "Tiger" from PME or from Janzen?

Kevin
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

That's black rose - PME
pipeyeti

Post by pipeyeti »

Ijust got an email updatefromPME went to the siteto look around. Lookslike they have blackrosein stock again @12$ a rod.