Pipe #s 6 and 7

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jeff

Pipe #s 6 and 7

Post by jeff »

Well, here are my newest pipes, open for public scrutiny. Let me have it. More views are forthcoming.

Last edited by jeff on Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Jeff, no scrutiny here...those are both very sweet pipes!

I really love the shank extension/inlay on the first one.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

looks like you got pick of the litter briar on that first one! I like the shank/stummel transition how you indent it and then bring it back out with a bulge, that looks neat with the flow of the pipe. On the final shot it looks like the extension/stem transition isn't as smooth as you'd probably like. How's the drilling?

I like the shape of the first pipe, but I gotta say that the side of the stummel above the stem catches my eye as being off in it's angle when it flows dowdward. I don't know if I see the "resolution" but I see something "off". COuld just be me tho...
JMB

Post by JMB »

Love the shape of the bowl on the first one. I'm not much on thin shanks, (i'm hard on pipes) but the flow is great.
The second is a neat looking pipe, looks like a "bankers pipe"
jeff

Post by jeff »

Ben,

Thanks for the critique. Actually, I think what you are seeing, if you are looking at the rear shot of the first pipe, is the angle I am holding it at while taking the photo. It was a quick photo, and I didn't take care to make it perfectly straight.

The drilling is fine, a cleaner passes without a hitch.

The photos were hastily posted, but here is my own critique.

The first pipe:

1. The finish isn't what I wanted it to be. Besides choosing a poor color combination to show off the purpleheart insert, I had difficulty gaining the precision in sanding necessary to create the smoothest staining possible. Thus, the understain is lighter in some parts and heavier in others. Unfortunately, it wasn't done in one sitting, but rather was done with haste in several sittings and consequently felt rushed.

2. The shank extension is slightly tilted. I was incredibly frustrated with this. It was my first attempt with an extension and had no way to secure it properly in a vise to guarantee a flush and straight fit. Therefore it is slightly tilted. Again, this is a result of my relative haste in constructing it as well as a general lack of experience.

3. The draught hole is overdrilled by about 1/8", requiring a "fix" with a round burr bit in my dremel. This will be fixed with some carbon coating. However, it will never be for sale because of this and the other mistakes.

It was a learning pipe and nothing more. Overall, I am personally quite displeased with it aside from the glassy finish which is by far the best I have been able to do.

The second pipe:

1. The rustication (which is difficult to see in these photos) was not as deep and thorough as I would have liked. This, unfortunately, is something I noticed as I neared the finished product and was reluctant to take any steps backward to correct the problem

2. There is a slight run of black finish onto the virgin stained top. This was a result of overlooking the problem. I can chalk it up to nothing else.

3. There is the slightest of gaps on the bottom of the stem/shank meeting. It is virtually unnoticeable, but still frustrating in a finished product.

4. The shape on the rear of the bowl is slightly curved instead of straight. This throws the symmetry with the front off and should have been taken care of in the shaping stage, but was not. This will certainly not happen again.

Well, those are my critiques.

I would seriously love to learn from any of your individual or collective criticisms of these pipes. I want to hone my skills and become the best that I can possibly be at this art. Please don't hold back. Let me have it.

Jeff
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Jeff, this is what I was talking about:

See the circled area, the glare changes a lot right in the middle of the circle. That's what leads me to believe that the joint isn't flush... see what I'm saying?

jeff

Post by jeff »

Ben,

I understand, thanks for the illustration. That might be a lighting thing b/c after examining it again, it is flush. It must not have been on snugly when taking the photos.

Random,

Thanks for the criticisms, they are much appreciated. While I have no ambitions at making a fortune at this, nor for it to ever be my livelihood, it is important that my pipes be steadily improving. Thus, my self-criticism was necessary, first to illustrate the kind of criticism that I was after, and second to keep myself honest. Patting myself on the back is part of the process, but it doesn't make pipes better. Your opinions and evaluations were precisely what I was after, thank you.

Keep 'em rollin'!

Jeff
jeff

Post by jeff »

Oh, Random, the rusticated pipe was intended to be a dublin, but perhaps I'm off on my pipe lingo.

My photography does suck, but, as previously stated, these were taken in haste with a camera that was not my own and the flash wasn't wanting to work. I'll try to get some better pictures up.

Jeff
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Jeff, I don't know if this will help or if the others will agree with me but I have noticed a night and day difference (pardon the pun) between my old pictures taken inside and the one's I take outside! See the 2 examples below:

This first one is taken inside in front of a sunny window. Granted other things have changed, the distance, the angles, etc. Those are all different too... but notice the lighting change.

I'm not sure the others will agree with me on this but I notice a big improvement (at least to my liking) in my pics when taking them outside.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Thanks Ben.
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

bscofield wrote:

I'm not sure the others will agree with me on this but I notice a big improvement (at least to my liking) in my pics when taking them outside.

The outdoors is great for taking pipe pictures especially early in the day or in the afternoon when the sun is low...

i used to take a my photoes outdoors......untilll the gray of fall arrived and i invested in a big old lamp for growing tomatoes indoors ....so now i never leave the house..... ;)
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
jeff

Post by jeff »

Ah, yes, it is tilted forward. I thought that was a dublin though. No matter, it won't change what it looks like.

Jeff
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I checked ASP and it says that you have a dublin-zulu :)

Dublins have conical bowls/chambers and no forward slant.
Zulu's have a forward slant and no conical bowl and stem is usually 1/8 bent.

There you have it, Dublin-Zulu :D
jeff

Post by jeff »

Nice, thanks. Although I typically agree with Random, the style name doesn't really matter. What matters is that it looks good, smokes well, and that someone likes it enough to want it for themselves.

Jeff
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Hey man, those look good! What colors did you use for the first one with the shank extension? Are you using the fieblings dye?

Also a very good job on what I assume is a hand cut stem.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Thanks John, I appreciate the compliments. Any suggestions for these ones?

The stain is a Pimo cherry undercoat and a virgin top coat of the same.

Actually, I've never hand cut a stem. These are all preformed ones that I've modified. I do the best with what I have. Maybe I'll hit the handcut circle soon though.

Jeff