Hello everyone !

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Jos

Hello everyone !

Post by Jos »

My name is Jens, and I live in Bielefeld, Germany. Starting pipemaking as a hobby in 2007, I have finished 3 pipes up to now, the first under guidance of a pipemaker, the next two out of pre-drilled Blocks. Here's my first works:
Image#1, August 2007, under guidance of Nils Thomsen, Berlin Image#2, December 2007
Image#3, spring 2008
In summer of 2008, I sold my collection of Dinky toys to get money to buy some tools, including a band saw and a small lathe. My first try with the lathe was this stem, as a replacement for the one below:
It's far from perfection, but at least better than the old one...
Actually, I'm working on my #4. The stummel is almost finished:
Image while the stem work has just begun:Image
Having read this forum for a few days now, I have receicved plenty of advice, so I just wanted to say hello and thank you ... and excuse for any harm that my poor english might do to anyone here :notworthy: ...

Best regards, Jens
Cariztian

Post by Cariztian »

Hi there Jens!
Really cool pipes there, and i really dig the #4, its a cool shape!

Is all of those woods, briar?

Christian
Make your pipe
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi Christian,

Yes, it's all briar... just the stains are different. The shape of #4 is actually not my invention, Sixten Ivarsson did something quite similar years ago. The difference is, his was symmetric on purpose, and mine is asymmetric by mistake :wink: ...

Jens
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Jos wrote:Hi Christian,
Sixten Ivarsson did something quite similar years ago.
Jens
Really? That doesn't seem like a Sixten shape. His shaping aesthetic was very sparse and austere... originally out of necessity, since good briar was hard to find after WWII. He might get 3 pipes out of that block of briar. I'm no expert, mind you, just inquisitive. If you have pics or a link, I'd love to have a look at the original that inspired you. I'm not so familiar with his late work, but in a conscious effort to "cut to the bone" in my own shaping, I reference his early work often as a reminder.
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi,
kbadkar wrote:Really? That doesn't seem like a Sixten shape. His shaping aesthetic was very sparse and austere... originally out of necessity, since good briar was hard to find after WWII. He might get 3 pipes out of that block of briar. I'm no expert, mind you, just inquisitive. If you have pics or a link, I'd love to have a look at the original that inspired you. I'm not so familiar with his late work, but in a conscious effort to "cut to the bone" in my own shaping, I reference his early work often as a reminder.
here's the picture that inspired me:
From a japanese magazine, of 1971... the fourth from above. Ok, his one is better :wink: ... My #4's stummel is about 2 3/4 '' long, and the block wasn't much bigger... so I guess even Sixten would've had hard times cutting more than one out of that :wink: ...

Jens
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Jos wrote:Hi,
kbadkar wrote:Really? That doesn't seem like a Sixten shape. His shaping aesthetic was very sparse and austere... originally out of necessity, since good briar was hard to find after WWII. He might get 3 pipes out of that block of briar. I'm no expert, mind you, just inquisitive. If you have pics or a link, I'd love to have a look at the original that inspired you. I'm not so familiar with his late work, but in a conscious effort to "cut to the bone" in my own shaping, I reference his early work often as a reminder.
here's the picture that inspired me:
From a japanese magazine, of 1971... the fourth from above. Ok, his one is better :wink: ... My #4's stummel is about 2 3/4 '' long, and the block wasn't much bigger... so I guess even Sixten would've had hard times cutting more than one out of that :wink: ...

Jens
I was going to post the same thing. If I remember correctly, Lars has a half-finished shape similar to that lying around his workshop. I could be conflating that with seeing the magazine from which that page comes while at his workshop, though. Between the airport and the house, Lars, Jody, and I did stop and pick up two pallets--yes pallets--of beer. Nonetheless, that is an Ivarsson shape. Whether or not that particular piece was actually created by Sixten, I don't know. But it is "An Ivarsson Product" for sure.

Todd
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Gotcha, guys, thanks for the info and pic. I thought that shape was more in the Bo Nordh vein, but that's what happens when you stereotype carvers' styles.

Sorry to highjack your thread Jens, so I'll throw in a few comments about your lovely examples. I think your contrast finishes are really top notch. The first pipe is truly amazing. What an introduction to pipe making! What pipemaker guided you? It would be nice to see the first three pipes from a few more angles (especially #1), to help visualize the whole pipe. I'm looking forward to see more work in the Gallery!
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi,
kbadkar wrote:Gotcha, guys, thanks for the info and pic. I thought that shape was more in the Bo Nordh vein, but that's what happens when you stereotype carvers' styles.
Not so wrong, probably. That shape might well have inspired Bo's "Ramses"-shape.
Sorry to highjack your thread Jens, so I'll throw in a few comments about your lovely examples. I think your contrast finishes are really top notch. The first pipe is truly amazing. What an introduction to pipe making! What pipemaker guided you? It would be nice to see the first three pipes from a few more angles (especially #1), to help visualize the whole pipe. I'm looking forward to see more work in the Gallery!
I've been guided by Nils Thomsen of Berlin, Germany. Here's his site: http://www.nilsthomsenpipes.com/englisch/home_en.htm If you click on "Heimspiele" on the right side, and then on the second link from below, you can see more pics of my #1 - and me working on it ...

Jens