Alt. Briar

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
buster

Alt. Briar

Post by buster »

Just looking for a cheaper alternative to briar to practice on. I've seen the olive wood pipes and the osage orange ones, but I was wondering if there are any other woods with similar characteristics to briar for drilling and shaping. Maybe something I can pick up at my local Woodcraft store.
Thanks.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Cherry will work.

Todd
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Also, look at Ash and Maple. Nothing is really going to prepare you for briar - it's a very hard and dense wood that finishes and machines more like metal than wood. The benefit of cherry, ash, and maple, is that the end result can be smoked without worry.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
flix

Post by flix »

I've found that black walnut is a great practice wood. I've also heard that just about any fruit wood will do in a pinch (correct me if wrong).
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

You're right. I once made a pipe from apple, many years ago. Had a rather nice flavor IIRC.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
jim in Oregon

Post by jim in Oregon »

Buster,many domestic and wild( gone wild) fruit wood, apple, pear, plum,cherry will make a very nice smoking and attractive pipe.

Historically, the reason why pipes were seldom made of fruit wood was in those days, fruit trees had far greater value for fruit and had little commercial value otherwise, except for the larger cherry species.
Fruit trees are pruned often for fruit bearing which doesn't make them very optimal for lumber of any dimension.

However, burl, crotch, trunk to root transition pieces will show some exceptional grain and figure and will make beautiful pipes.

IT there are any fruit orchards in your area, visit with the owners and ask IF you might have some small sections of older trees when they finally take them out due to age.

You can also find a source with residentuial arborculturists( tree trimmers, yardwork companies0 who often remove fruit trees of the ornamental varieties. and may save some select smaller sections for you.

The green cut wood MUST be attended to promptly.Reduce as much as possible in dimension and then kept in a cool, damp, dark place for the next few months to retard moisture loss and reduce cracking-checking.
It can then be sealed with inexpensive white glue like Elmer's on the exposed end grain surfaces to further retard drying and so keep inside wood somewhat at the same drying pace with exterior of the chunks-blocks.
Wild persimmon is also an excellent wood for pipes, tho it can be hard to find.
I have made several beautiful pipes from plum wood.Great grain and coloration and harder than briar.
Be creative..keep your eyes open.
Your neighbors may have ornamental fruit trees needing pruning from which you can get a limb section or two to play with.Jim