Tobacco Chamber Profiles

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
d6monk

Tobacco Chamber Profiles

Post by d6monk »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so I first wanted to say that all of you have been a huge help in getting me started with pipe making. This community is one of the best I've ever seen. Friendly, open, very helpful, and amazing pipes! I truly appreciate it and I hope I will be able to contribute in the coming months/years.

Anyway, I have been getting ready to make my first pipe (just waiting for some drill bits etc. to come by mail), and had a question regarding tobacco chamber profiles. I hope ckr doesn't mind me using one of his graphics he posted on another site a while ago so everyone knows what I'm talking about:

Which should I use and which should I avoid? Do they each have benefits and drawbacks? I was wondering what shape everyone uses and why.

Thanks!
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I use something between a B and C and will soon be switching to more of a C.

I use that profile because I like it :D
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

You'll get tons of opinions on tobacco chamber shape. We had a discussion on another forum about people's preference regarding conical chambers vs more cylindrical, say, your shape e vs shape c. Lots of guys hated conically drilled bowls, and lots preferred them!

I've heard it said that flake-oriented pipes (like a pot, say) should be drilled relatively flatter and wider than ordinary.

I've got all kinds of pipes with all sorts of variations on bowl height, shape and width. And really, they all smoke about the same. I do find that I have to pack conical bowls differently, but I can get them to work.

For the average pipe, I would pick something approaching C.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I'm at work and can't see your graphic but I can say I prefer a cylindrical chamber unless the shape requires a conical one. I find that conical bowls require more care especially when packing and tamping. Not only do you get downward pressure but you get wedge pressure which, if not careful, can over pack the tobacco in the heel. From an engineering standpoint, I find cylindrical better.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I use A, B, and C, with some occasinal use of E.

D is probably acceptable in some pipes, but the bottom is a bit too square for my liking, and F is right out in my opinion.

The particular chamber shape I choose for a given pipe has more to do with the exterior shape of the pipe than anything else. I'd say I use A and B most often.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
FredS

Re: Tobacco Chamber Profiles

Post by FredS »

d6monk wrote: Do they each have benefits and drawbacks?
I won't speak to the smokability of the shapes, but from a pipemaking standpoint, shapes D, E, F will be harder to drill - especially if your using a drill press. D & F will want to wander more than the other, "self-centering" shapes. E will have a LOT of cutter surface area in contact with the workpiece, and it gets worse as you go deeper. These problems will be worse with spade type bits, but will even be exhibited somewhat with twist bits.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

The bit I use is a cross between b and e
Anvil

Post by Anvil »

"a... b... F!"

"c Sir"

"Right! C!"

KABOOM!!!

(for those who don't get this one, please ignore it and assume that I am at least partially sane.)
The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the management or of the little green men who have been following me all day.
Cariztian

Post by Cariztian »

I dont have any drill bits.. so.. i use my dremel and create a cross between "E" and "B".. wich often ends up half-circular :oops:

=P
Make your pipe
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Anvil wrote:"a... b... F!"

"c Sir"

"Right! C!"

KABOOM!!!

(for those who don't get this one, please ignore it and assume that I am at least partially sane.)
You are not sane, but the rabbit, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. :wink:
d6monk

Post by d6monk »

Thanks everyone, it's nice to know what people are using.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

A for shape first, using a spoon bit
B to C for drill first, using modified spades.

Like someone said earlier, it depends on the design/final shape of the pipe. The nice thing with modifying spade bits is that you can "easily" shape a bit to fit the profile of your pipe shape, and thereby build up a nice collection possible chamber shapes. I've never tried smoking a "D" and "F" flat bottom, but I've had some troubles packing/smoking a Bjorn Thurmann pipe with an "E". It's very fickle about tobacco cut and packing technique.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Alan L wrote:You are not sane, but the rabbit, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. :wink:
Python rocks! :rockon:
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Yeah, I'm with Kurt: A, B, C, and sometimes E.

For me, having a certain visual design in mind generally dictates the shape of the bore.