No. 7 please critique

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
pennsyscot

No. 7 please critique

Post by pennsyscot »

Life has kept me from the shop for a while. I finally found some
time. Here is my 7th pipe and my first use of olivewood.
I welcome criticism and suggestions. thanks, Scot
The brown stain around the tabacco chamber and on the left side of the pipe is the wax that the wood was sealed in. The wax penetrated deeply into the wood. I tried to remove it with solvents but nothing seemed to work.
Olivewood is nice to work with. I don't know how it smokes, but it is signifigantly heavier than briar.
I made the stem from german ebonite. I used a delrin tenon and mortise sleeve
Thanks for lookin. Your comments will be appreciated.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Don't know how different our SA wild olive is, but for me it is a beauty to smoke. About 5 halfbowls and then gradually bit by bit more tobacco with every bowl is how I break mine in. Normally takes not more than 10 fills for me.
By the way, nice pipe. (Wish I had a lathe! :cry: )
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I like the graining on that. The shape of the bowl is nice too. Like a cross between a Bulldog and Volcano.
Timberwolf

Post by Timberwolf »

That pipe reminds me of our banner, which I simply love! Olive Wood has such beautiful grain! I wonder if there way to get some in the US?

Anywho, breathtaking!
"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan." -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton"
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Thanks for the comments. You can obtain olivewood from anyplace that sells turning supplies. The wood is not kiln dried and is coated in wax. I just roughed it out and let it sit for a couple of weeks. I probably should do something more precise like measure moisture content. But, I've had no problems, thus far.
Timberwolf

Post by Timberwolf »

Thanks Pennyscot, have a Woodcraft not too far away. Never bought their wood before as I have just drooled on their lathes and power tools.
"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan." -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton"
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Man, that's a beautiful 7th. You have a lot of natural talent. Very original but yet not too far from the traditional shapes that I love. I really dig this pipe. I admire your stem work also. Very well done. The only part that bugs me just a touch is that the shank narrows just before the bowl. It appears to be intentional but preferring traditional pipe shapes it throws me off just a bit. I still really like it though.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

I noticed the same as Wayne but I just don't care about those imperfections :) Just a free style classic shape! I love it :)
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Thanks for the very generous comments. I agree with wayne's remark about the flared stem, it didn't turn out exactly as I had visualized.