Five

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
FredS

Five

Post by FredS »

My fifth offering. Made from extremely rare (some may even say mythic) 100 year old Rhode Island briar. Although I used a molded stem, I’m still considering this my first “from scratch” pipe because I cut the tenon, opened the draft hole from stem to stern and reshaped the bit. Though I’ve actually only asked 2 or 3 questions outright here, y’all have been extremely helpful.

I’m still fiddling with my camera settings, so my photography is off limits, but your comments & critiques of the pipe are encouraged.

"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Nice work!

These are much better looking than my 4th and 5th pipes. :lol:

Your symmetry is excellent, and the flow of the shapes is good. Your shaping around the bowl/shank join needs a just a little refinement, but that will come with making more pipes.

Rad
Bear

Post by Bear »

Love this pipe, very elegant looking. All you proportions between your bowl, shank and bit makes this a very lovely pipe. Very nice work.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Great improvement!
FredS

Post by FredS »

You're only about the 20th person to comment on my bowl-to-shank transitions Rad. How can all you so-called experts be so wrong about this same thing? :D

I guess we've identified my weakest area. I don't know if it's my sense of style or craftsmanship that needs improving, but you're right - it's getting more defined with each pipe. I have a few more done, but not posted and they look better.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Nice work. Also, i'd like to say, good form sticking to traditional shapes early on. Seems so many new carvers try to do fancy shapes right out of the shute. I made that mistake and those pipes are probably my worst.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com