Churchwarden #2

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Churchwarden #2

Post by Alan L »

I can't begin to describe the annoyance of doing a churchwarden stem from scratch, but the style seems to be what the guys who like my work want me to do. Since the first one was done for Christmas 2007, I decided to do one a year so folks would know they're getting something special. Here's the 2008 version.

Thanks for looking!
Bear

Post by Bear »

I like your choice of color for the stem. It really brings the pipe together. The shape of the bowl looks very comfortable to hold, I bet this would make a great reading pipe. Only small critism I have is that the stem looks bent on more of an angle than a gradual curve, but that may just be my preferences on churwardens. Overall a very nice pipe!
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Thanks!

I don't like the rather abrupt bend either, but on a chunk of lucite that long it was the best I could do. :roll: It started out pretty nice, but as it cooled it kept reverting to a sharp kink right there, even being held over a wooden form. :filth-n-foul:
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's just weird. My current pipe project is very similar. It's a churchwarden with a tortoise lucite stem. Mine's a stacked billiard though with a long shank. And I'm with you on the churchwarden stems being a pain. It is, however, a heck of a lot easier with a semi transparent acrylic where you can see your airway and use it as a guide when shaping. I don't dislike the abrupt bend. Mine will have a similar bend. Very nice work on yours. Well done. My only criticism is that the bend isn't abrupt enough! I think the bend needs to either be abrupt and bend in one spot or it needs to be gradual along a longer portion of the stem. That's purely my opinion though. Your pipe is very nicely done either way.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Be careful with abrupt bends, especially in acrylic - they can kink and restrict the airway something fierce.

I'm with you Alan, I hate doing churchwarden stems from scratch. However, I recently got a collet chuck for my lathe allowing me to pass the length through the spindle. That has helped immensely, couple with a little bushing that fits inside the spindle to hold the other end steady.

BTW, Alan: someone sent me some machinable wax in a swap on another forum. This looks like it's going to be a slippery slope at this point. Time to buy some pewter or silver casting grain. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Thanks, guys!

I did use a long, extra-fluffy pipe cleaner in the airway to keep it from collapsing at the bend. For turning the blank, drilled rod, I have a follower rest on the lathe. REALLY handy on flexible stuff that otherwise would snap under a heavy cut. My lathe also has a hollow spindle that allows a full-length pass-through, which is the only way to do the tenon as far as I'm concerned. I don't have a collet chuck, just a three-jaw and a four-jaw.

And Kurt, watch out! That stuff's addictive! :lol: BTW I use lead-free solder. Cheaper and flows almost as well as pewter. :wink: