First Attempt--- Please Critique

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
hammer8

First Attempt--- Please Critique

Post by hammer8 »

This is my first try at pipe making using a pre-bored pipe kit bought from Mark Tinsky at American Smoking Pipe Co. It was made for myself, all shaping and sanding was done by hand. The color is best shown in the close up pictures (3, 4, & 5). Any constructive criticism is welcome!

Merry Christmas to all!
Don

tritrek

Post by tritrek »

A very nice first! Well put in the wood! I do like the shape and the colour... congrats!
hammer8

Post by hammer8 »

tritrek-
Thank you for your kind words... Very encouraging!!!
Nick

Post by Nick »

The bowl shank junction lack definition. The pipe seems rather amourphous because of that. I like the reverse curve of the stem and shank, but I feel like you didn't go far enough. Perhaps you could have made the top of the shank curve downward farther, mirroring the top, in a hawkbill type of thing. The bowl looks nice. Leaving the top rough was a nice touch too. Keep hacking away bud.
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

Excellent first attempt. A sharper bowl- shank transition would be nice. The shank might look better if it didn't widen as much close to the bowl. Also, the button could be a little more refined. I like the plateau top and the grain is nicely oriented. Very nice job with the staining.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with what's been said thus far. Only a couple other things I see. The stem/shank transition isn't bad but I can see some slight rounding of the edges. Also their appears to be a some wobbles in the stem in picture #6. Altogether a very nice first attempt. Keep it up.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
hammer8

Post by hammer8 »

Thanks to those who took the time to offer their opinions on my pipe. I feel that objective evaluation is one of the better ways to improve upon yourself.

I actually assumed that most would find fault with what I did at the shank-bowl junction. If this was being made for sale, or to be given to someone else, most likely I would have shaped the top of the stem to match the bottom as Nick recommended. Making it for my own use, I liked how this shape felt in my hand, so I went with it.
the button could be a little more refined.
Any tips or suggestions for working the button area, or is that just something will come with practice???

Thanks again for the reviews. Knowing what areas I need to improve, along with the positive comments, encourage me to do better on #2.

Don
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

hammer8 wrote:Any tips or suggestions for working the button area, or is that just something will come with practice???
Grab a pipe from your collection whose button you like the shape of and try to replicate it. It's also helpful to have a 1/16" drill bit in the button end of your airway sticking out as a reference so you don't sand/file through your airway. Also, having an arsenal of needle files, flat safe edge Nicholson's, and various grits of salon fingernail files on hand helps to get it just right. I do the bulk of my final shaping of the button with a 320 grit salon fingernail file from Walmart sanding with long, swooping, rounded motions.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
hammer8

Post by hammer8 »

Thanks for the tips. I have the Nicholson's, but never thought of the finger nail files!