Pipe Atelier Yashtylov - Handmade Pipes from Russia

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Awesome, Victor! Thank you. It's surprisingly similar to what I've been telling people to do for a few years now. I like how you've accounted for the tendency of some blacks to actually be a really dark blue by correcting with a red/brown stain. Nice!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

PipeAtelierYashtylov wrote:... the hand should not sing...
Man, I hate it when my hand suddenly starts singing. The damn thing has a tin ear. :twisted:

Sorry, Yash, I couldn't resist the joke.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
PipeAtelierYashtylov

Post by PipeAtelierYashtylov »

Yes, red - brown corrects a dark blue shade. I hope, that my advice will help you!

http://www.pipeatelier.spb.ru - Pipe Atelier Yashtylov

PipeAtelierYashtylov

Frank wrote:
Man, I hate it when my hand suddenly starts singing. The damn thing has a tin ear. :twisted:

Sorry, Yashtylov, I couldn't resist the joke.
... the hand should not to sweat (to be damp)...

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

PipeAtelierYashtylov wrote:Yes, red - brown corrects a dark blue shade. I hope, that my advice will help you!
Well, not me - I already knew that. But several members of this forum will find the advice very valuable. Especially if they experiment and find a process that works for them.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

Man, when I see the complexity and length of this process, which is "only" the finishing, then I see how Victor handles it, I understand, how far far away is he from me on the way to perfection - and this also gives explanation to the price of his and other high-grade pipes.
Those pipes have a glass-like finish! Awesome!
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

PipeAtelierYashtylov wrote:Yes, red - brown corrects a dark blue shade. I hope, that my advice will help you!
I rarely use black as an understain anymore simply because I prefer lighter pipes in shades of brown. You will, however, find that "black" stains come in two varieties--brown-black, and blue-black. When you buy powdered stains from western-Europe, they are actually designated as such. If they're not labeled that way, you will certainly be able to tell after staining which one you've got. Let me also suggest that, if you've got a blue-black stain (as most are) you should use something like a tan (something with a little more red) as opposed to a straight yellow over top of it. If you do use yellow, you'll likely end up with a green tinged pipe.

Todd
GbpBulgaria

Post by GbpBulgaria »

Frank wrote:

Sorry, Yash, I couldn't resist the joke.
:D Hey Frank,
It is not so bad:0
last year I’ve sent Christmas greetings to all my customers containing the text… and Marry Christmas… so if you hand singing it is not so bad, but if marry to Christmas this can be a problem at all :P
George
GbpBulgaria

Post by GbpBulgaria »

PipeAtelierYashtylov wrote:I ask me to forgive. But I have no enough good knowledge of English language for this purpose...
Hello Mr. Yashtylov,

Your pipes are incredible, fine and really nice looking.
I am form Bulgaria, I know a little Russian, and so if you want you can use me to help you with the language. Well, do not forget that my English is not perfect but I hope everybody in this forum will understand what you want to say.
By the way, you can use this translator: http://translate.google.com/ and also you can use http://www.lingvo.ru/lingvo/ as dictionary and translation tool:idea:, it is one of the best sources.
I am translator myself and our native languages are affined and can help you with the difficult terms used in pipe making filed, moreover I am pipe maker (hopefully) myself and it will be interesting for me too, as I can see your methods are interesting for many users here.
You can send me the postings if they are longer at george@gbpipes.com with your English version containing Russian words and I will try to send you back the corrected version. Another way is just to post same way into the forum and I will respond to your posting.

Regards George
PipeAtelierYashtylov

GbpBulgaria wrote:
PipeAtelierYashtylov wrote:I ask me to forgive. But I have no enough good knowledge of English language for this purpose...
Hello Mr. Yashtylov,

Your pipes are incredible, fine and really nice looking.
I am form Bulgaria, I know a little Russian, and so if you want you can use me to help you with the language. Well, do not forget that my English is not perfect but I hope everybody in this forum will understand what you want to say.
By the way, you can use this translator: http://translate.google.com/ and also you can use http://www.lingvo.ru/lingvo/ as dictionary and translation tool:idea:, it is one of the best sources.
I am translator myself and our native languages are affined and can help you with the difficult terms used in pipe making filed, moreover I am pipe maker (hopefully) myself and it will be interesting for me too, as I can see your methods are interesting for many users here.
You can send me the postings if they are longer at george@gbpipes.com with your English version containing Russian words and I will try to send you back the corrected version. Another way is just to post same way into the forum and I will respond to your posting.

Regards George

Thanks the dear friend for the suggested help!

I frequently use translators specified by you, Without their help, I could not communicate with you. Yes, by the way, I am well familiar with Bulgarian Pipemaker - Gez, we with him frequently spoke in Russian! he well knows him:)

I am glad to present last pipe this year! Brandy-Nosewarmer
Other photos On my site I shall be glad to your comments:)
I congratulate you on coming New year!!! I wish you happiness, health, and the big financial well-being!!!

PipeAtelierYashtylov

Hello dear friends. On my site two new pipes Billiard 2B и Brandy N.A. I am glad to your comments and reviews.

android

Post by android »

those are brilliant. nice work, i love the nose warmers.
PipeAtelierYashtylov

android wrote:those are brilliant. nice work, i love the nose warmers.
Thanks for kind words

On my site new pipe - Lovat DB I am glad to your comments and reviews.

Timberwolf

Post by Timberwolf »

Your pipes continue to fill me with awe.

Breathtaking!
"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan." -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton"
PipeAtelierYashtylov

PipeAtelierYashtylov

Dear friends. On my site new pipe Tomato B

I am glad to your comments and reviews.

ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

The quality of work is exceptional in both cases--I love the concept--but the angularity of the tapered rings creates a visual imbalance in the pipe. The angle at which the scalloped rings intersect the shank has no equivalent, implied or otherwise, anywhere else in the composition. Because of this, the eye is quickly carried off the "canvas" into the negative space that surrounds the pipe rather than being carried along the pipe's beautifully sinuous lines and curves. Were the bowl skewed at a corresponding angle, I think the direction of the "energy" moving through the pipe would be more more germane to it's actual form. Again, though, your workmanship is stunning.

Todd
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

ToddJohnson wrote:The quality of work is exceptional in both cases--I love the concept--but the angularity of the tapered rings creates a visual imbalance in the pipe. The angle at which the scalloped rings intersect the shank has no equivalent, implied or otherwise, anywhere else in the composition. Because of this, the eye is quickly carried off the "canvas" into the negative space that surrounds the pipe rather than being carried along the pipe's beautifully sinuous lines and curves. Were the bowl skewed at a corresponding angle, I think the direction of the "energy" moving through the pipe would be more more germane to it's actual form. Again, though, your workmanship is stunning.
You know, I didn't really notice it until you posted that, but you're right - I'm looking at the outer edges and the negative space in all of the photos.

Holy crap....
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
buster

Post by buster »

I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it. The tomato B has more of that effect I think. When I first saw them I said thats a hell of a stem now thats all I can look at.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

buster wrote:I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it. The tomato B has more of that effect I think. When I first saw them I said thats a hell of a stem now thats all I can look at.
Yep. "Visual static" it's sometimes called. Not quite drowning out the sound of what you're trying to listen to, but so distracting you simply miss it.

Todd